Initial speed and distance from initial height problem

In summary: Here v is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity and x0 is the initial position. You can recheck the calculations from there.In summary, an entertainer juggles balls while doing other activities, including throwing a ball vertically upward and running to and from a table 5.60 m away at a constant speed of 2.10 m/s. To accomplish this feat, she must throw the ball with a minimum initial speed of 26.1 m/s. Using the kinematic equation x(t) = vt - (1/2)at^2 + x0, the height of the ball just as she reaches the table can be calculated.
magnifik

Homework Statement

An entertainer juggles balls while doing other activities. In one act, she throws a ball vertically upward, and while it is in the air, she runs to and from a table 5.60 m away at a constant speed of 2.10 m, returning just in time to catch the falling ball.

Homework Equations

Part A)
With what minimum initial speed must she throw the ball upward to accomplish this feat?

Part B)
How high above its initial position is the ball just as she reaches the table?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the first part and got 26.1 by Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 0
Vi = 0
a = 9.8
t = (11.20/2.10)/2 = 2.67
9.8*2.67=26.1 m/s
i don't understand how to do part B of the problem though

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi magnifik, welcome to PF.
You have calculated the initial velocity. You know the time to reach the table. Using the kinematic equation find the height.

i'm not exactly sure which equation I use and which time i use

I used
x(t) = vt + (1/2)at^2 + x0
i plugged in t = 2.67 and v = 26.1
i got 104.6 from doing this,
and I'm pretty sure that's wrong because it doesn't seem realistic

a little guidance would be nice

x(t) = vt + (1/2)at^2 + x0
As the ball goes up, its velocity decreases. So it is retarding. There the equation should be
x(t) = vt - (1/2)at^2 + x0

1. What is the initial speed and distance from initial height problem?

The initial speed and distance from initial height problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the initial speed and distance of an object when it is dropped from a certain height. It is a common problem in physics and is often used to test a student's understanding of basic kinematics equations.

2. How do you solve the initial speed and distance from initial height problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the kinematics equations for constant acceleration. These equations include the equation for distance (d = v0t + 1/2at2), the equation for final velocity (v = v0 + at), and the equation for average velocity (vavg = (v0 + v)/2). By plugging in the known values and solving for the unknowns, you can find the initial speed and distance of the object.

3. What are the units for initial speed and distance?

The units for initial speed are meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s), depending on the unit system used. The units for distance are meters (m) or feet (ft), again depending on the unit system used.

4. Can the initial speed and distance from initial height problem be solved for any object?

Yes, this problem can be solved for any object that is dropped from a certain height and experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity. This includes objects like balls, books, or even people.

5. How is air resistance taken into account when solving the initial speed and distance from initial height problem?

In most introductory physics problems, air resistance is assumed to be negligible and is not taken into account. However, for more complex problems or real-world scenarios, the effects of air resistance can be included by using more advanced equations and techniques.