CALL DELAYP1Configuring HD44789 Display with PIC16F84

In summary, the conversation is about writing the configuration section for an HD44789 display connected to a PIC16F84 microcontroller. The person is unsure of how to get the data sent to the ports for the configuration and asks about using assembler or a different language. Another person suggests using PCWH picc to program in C, but the original poster mentions being busy with their thesis. It is mentioned that the HD44789 is a parallel input IC and the PIC16F84 datasheet should be consulted for assembly and configuration details.
hisham.i
Am trying to write the configuration section for hd44789 display connected to pic16f84 micro controller, and i didn't understand from where can i get the data sent to the ports for the configuration...Example:
MOVLW 03H ;Why 03?
MOVWF PORTB
CALL CLOCK ; Subroutine previously defined
CALL DELAYP1;Subroutine previously defined

MOVLW 02H ; Why 02?
MOVWF PORTB
CALL CLOCK
CALL DELAYP1

MOVLW 02H
MOVWF PORTB
CALL CLOCK
CALL DELAYP1

MOVLW 08H
MOVWF PORTB
CALL CLOCK

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you need to do that in asmsembler or you are free to choose the languaje?? you can use PCWH picc to program in c lenguaje! its esasier.. if not... giveme a chance and I will reply this with asm! I am currently busy with my thesis

As this thread is a year and a half old, hopefully the OP figured out that the HD44789 is a parallel input IC, and read through enough of the PIC16F84 datasheet to decode the assembly / figure out the PIN/PORT/TRIS configuration and operation.

What is the purpose of configuring an HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller?

The HD44789 display is a popular LCD display used in many electronic devices. By configuring it with a PIC16F84 microcontroller, you can control and manipulate the display to show various types of information, such as text, symbols, and graphics.

What is the process for configuring an HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller?

The process involves connecting the HD44789 display to the PIC16F84 microcontroller using appropriate pins and wiring, setting up the appropriate configuration registers, and writing the necessary code to control the display. The specific steps may vary depending on the specific microcontroller and display being used.

What are some potential challenges or difficulties when configuring an HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller?

Some potential challenges may include compatibility issues between the microcontroller and display, incorrect wiring or connections, and difficulties in writing code to control the display. It is important to carefully follow datasheets and guidelines provided by the manufacturer to successfully configure the display.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when configuring an HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller?

Some common mistakes to avoid include incorrect wiring or connections, using the wrong configuration registers or settings, and not properly initializing the display before attempting to control it. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid these mistakes.

What are some potential applications for a configured HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller?

The applications for a configured HD44789 display with a PIC16F84 microcontroller are endless. It can be used in various electronic devices, such as digital clocks, thermometers, and even small robots. It can also be used in educational or hobby projects to display information or data in a visual way.