How to factor when no common factors?

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, the conversation discusses factoring a given expression that involves 25 and 49, which do not share any common factors. Different methods are suggested, such as using the difference of squares formula. The final answer is determined to be (5x - 7y) (5x + 7y). The importance of checking one's work is also emphasized.
Gringo123
How can I foctorise / factor this given that 25 and 49 share no common factors?

25x2 - 49y2

Physics news on Phys.org

Note that 25=52 and [tex]a^nb^n=(ab)^n[/tex]

Gringo123 said:
How can I foctorise / factor this given that 25 and 49 share no common factors?

25x2 - 49y2
This is a difference of squares.

(a+b)(a-b) = a2-b2

Make sure to make a and b not squared..So instead of 25, 5.

Gringo123 said:
given that 25 and 49 share no common factors?
Neither do x2 and y2 share any common factors, so this should imply you're looking for another factoring method other than finding a common factor. In this case, difference of two squares.

Thanks everyone. So am I right in saying that the answer would be:
(5x - 7y) (5x + 7y)
?

Rather than asking for confirmation from us, why don't you expand your answer to check it?

Gringo123 said:
Thanks everyone. So am I right in saying that the answer would be:
(5x - 7y) (5x + 7y)
?

That would be correct.

Thanks Raid!

If you prefer the easier way out (and the lazy approach at that), that's up to you, but you should reconsider becoming more trusting in yourself and not always of those around you.

In this problem, if you expanded your answer it will confirm whether you factorized correctly or not. In other topics you have been studying, for example the quadratic factoring, if asked to solve

[tex]x^2-x-6=0[/tex] and you factorize it as so [tex](x-3)(x+2)[/tex] you can check by expanding, or even plug your values x=3 and x=-2 into the quadratic to see if it's correct.

I'm just saying that there are ways to check your work so you become more independent with your mathematics. Having low confidence in your answers would be bad in tests, considering you're all alone in those situations.

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts called factors. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily.

2. What are common factors?

Common factors are numbers or variables that divide evenly into two or more terms of an expression. They can be used to simplify the expression by factoring them out.

3. How do I factor when there are no common factors?

When there are no common factors, you can use other techniques such as factoring by grouping, factoring by trial and error, or using the quadratic formula.

4. Can you give an example of factoring when there are no common factors?

For example, let's factor the expression 6x^2 + 11x + 4. In this case, there are no common factors between the three terms. We can use factoring by grouping to rewrite the expression as (6x^2 + 8x) + (3x + 4). Then, we can factor out 2x from the first group and 1 from the second group, giving us 2x(3x + 4) + 1(3x + 4). Finally, we can factor out the common binomial (3x + 4) to get the factored form of (2x + 1)(3x + 4).

5. What are some tips for factoring when there are no common factors?

Some tips for factoring when there are no common factors include looking for patterns, using substitution to simplify the expression, and practicing with different examples to improve your factoring skills.