Double slit diffraction maxima

In summary, the distance between the two slits in the double-slit experiment can have a significant effect on the intensity of the maxima on the screen. By understanding the concept of interference and using equations such as \frac{L_1 - L_2}{d} = sin\theta or \frac{L_1 - L_2}{d} = m\lambda, one can determine if a point on the screen will be a maximum or minimum based on the distance between the slits and the wavelength of the light. Altering the distance between the slits can change the value of m and ultimately affect the amount of destructive interference between the waves. However, the point on the screen directly opposite the space between the sl
HorseBox
What effect does the distance between the two slits have on the intensity of the maxima?

Science news on Phys.org
It can have a large effect, if I understand what you mean by 'intensity'. What have you come up with so far?

I just started learning the concepts yesterday what I've got so far is that if I have a screen with 2 slits each of a width equal to or smaller than the wavelength of the light then the slits can be considered single point sources of waves. If I place another screen far away from the screen with the slits a diffraction pattern will form on it consisting of fringes of light (maxima) and dark strips (minima) in between them. If I'm not mistaken it can be determined whether any point on the screen is a maxima or minima by comparing the length L of the paths taken by a wave traveling from each of the slits. If there is a difference equal to any multiple of the wavelength of the light waves then it will be a maxima because it will be pure constructive interference and the opposite being true for path length differences of any multiple of the wavelength plus a half wavelength. The equation I got is
[tex]\frac{L_1 - L_2}{d} = sin\theta[/tex]
I just read that this equation is the same as
[tex]\frac{L_1 - L_2}{d} = m\lambda[/tex]
where m is determines the amount of destructive interference at the point on the screen. I can see now that since the wavelength remains constant altering the distance between the slits d will alter the value of m so will effect the amount of destructive interference between the two waves at any point.

EDIT: Then again point on the screen directly opposite the space between the 2 slits will always be a maximum because the waves from each slit always travel the same distance to reach it.

Last edited:

1. What is double slit diffraction?

Double slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through two narrow and closely spaced slits. The light waves interfere with each other, producing a pattern of light and dark bands on a screen.

2. How is the pattern of maxima and minima formed in double slit diffraction?

The maxima and minima are formed due to the constructive and destructive interference of the light waves. When the waves from the two slits are in phase, they interfere constructively and produce a bright band or maximum. When they are out of phase, they interfere destructively and produce a dark band or minimum.

3. What factors affect the spacing of the maxima and minima in double slit diffraction?

The spacing of the maxima and minima is affected by the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. A smaller distance between the slits will result in a wider spacing of the maxima and minima, while a longer wavelength will result in a narrower spacing.

4. Can double slit diffraction occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double slit diffraction can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves and water waves. The same principles of interference apply, but the resulting pattern may look different due to the different properties of the waves.

5. How is double slit diffraction used in scientific research?

Double slit diffraction is used in various fields of science, such as optics, acoustics, and materials science. It is used to study the properties of waves, such as wavelength and frequency, and to determine the size and distance of objects. It is also used in the development of diffraction gratings, which are used in many scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and telescopes.