How Do You Calculate the Width of a Slit Using Single-Slit Diffraction Data?

From the given distance between the paper and screen, find the value of a. Then use the equation sin(\theta)=m\lambda/a to calculate the width of the slit. In summary, to measure the width of a slit in a piece of paper, use the equation sin(\theta)=m\lambda/a and input the distance between the paper and screen, the distance between the two minima, and the wavelength of the laser light.
Yaaaldi

Homework Statement

You have been asked to measure the width of a slit in a piece of paper. You mount the paper 80.0 centimeters from a screen and illuminate it from behind with laser light of wavelength 633 nanometers (in air). You mark two of the intensity minima as shown in the figure, and measure the distance between them to be 17.9 millimeters.

[PLAIN]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7453/101966.jpg

Homework Equations

sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=m[tex]\lambda[/tex]/a

Also for small angles [tex]\theta[/tex] sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to set up the equation. I'm used to having questions giving me the width of the central fringe and not the distance between 2 minima.

How do I use the given distance between the paper and screen and the distance between the two minima in the picture to calculate sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I'm also unsure what m would be equal to in this case.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put θ = y/x, where y is the diatance of the mth dark fringe from the center and x is the distance between slit and the screen. In this problem it is 17.9/2 mm.

What is single-slit diffraction?

Single-slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow slit and spreads out, creating a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen or surface.

What causes single-slit diffraction?

Single-slit diffraction is caused by the wave nature of light. As light passes through a slit, it diffracts or bends around the edges of the slit, producing a diffraction pattern.

How is the diffraction pattern affected by the size of the slit?

The size of the slit affects the diffraction pattern in two ways. A narrower slit will produce a wider diffraction pattern, while a wider slit will produce a narrower diffraction pattern. Additionally, as the slit gets narrower, the intensity of the diffraction pattern decreases.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of light has a direct relationship with the diffraction pattern. As the wavelength of light decreases, the width of the diffraction pattern decreases, and vice versa.

How does the distance between the slit and the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slit and the screen affects the diffraction pattern in two ways. As the distance increases, the width of the diffraction pattern decreases. However, the distance also affects the intensity of the diffraction pattern, with greater distances resulting in a lower intensity pattern.