Is there a formula in electrostatics analogous to escape velocity?

In summary, the escape velocity for an electron orbiting a positively charged nucleus would be twice the orbital velocity, or 2c x alpha.
diagopod
I was trying to understand the similarities and differences between electrostatics and standard Newtonian mechanics, in particular gravitational formulas. One thing I was curious about is escape velocity. For gravity I've learned that it's sqrt(2GM/R). But for electrostatics, suppose I was trying to determine the equivalent formula. For example, suppose one wanted to know the velocity a negatively charged rocket on the surface of a positively charged sphere would have to attain in order to escape the electrostatic force of that sphere. How would one go about that? At first I'd think it would be sqrt(2KeQ/ R), but that doesn't have units of velocity, so was wondering what the right formula would be? Thanks for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see what we can derive.

First you set the potential energy at R equal to the kinetic energy at infinity:

[tex]KE(r=\infty) = PE(r=R)[/tex]

Or,

[tex]\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2=k_e\dfrac{Qq}{R}[/tex] (assuming escape from a spherical charge)

[tex]v=\sqrt{2k_e\dfrac{q}{m}\dfrac{Q}{R}}[/tex]

So assuming I did the math right, it looks like your answer was correct, except that you neglected the charge to mass ratio of the object. The quantity q/m appears often in mechanics calculations involving electrostatic or magnetostatic forces. The reason it doesn't appear in the formula for gravity is because the mass of the projectile appears on both sides of the equation and will cancel out. What you're seeing is a direct result of the fact inertial and gravitation mass are equivalent, and that there's no parallel in electrodynamics. Pretty cool, huh?

arunma said:
Let's see what we can derive.

First you set the potential energy at R equal to the kinetic energy at infinity:

[tex]KE(r=\infty) = PE(r=R)[/tex]

Or,

[tex]\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2=k_e\dfrac{Qq}{R}[/tex] (assuming escape from a spherical charge)

[tex]v=\sqrt{2k_e\dfrac{q}{m}\dfrac{Q}{R}}[/tex]

So assuming I did the math right, it looks like your answer was correct, except that you neglected the charge to mass ratio of the object. The quantity q/m appears often in mechanics calculations involving electrostatic or magnetostatic forces. The reason it doesn't appear in the formula for gravity is because the mass of the projectile appears on both sides of the equation and will cancel out. What you're seeing is a direct result of the fact inertial and gravitation mass are equivalent, and that there's no parallel in electrodynamics. Pretty cool, huh?

Thanks! I really appreciate you walking me through this. That makes good sense all the way around, and yes, that's a remarkable parallel, the equivalence principle right, or no?

a little off, but you could see a similar example in an atom.
though in an atom we don't speak in terms of velocoties of electrons, we speak in terms of energies.
u must have heard of "ionization energy".
that's the energy difference between infinity (zero energy) and the energy of a shell(classically, if u know quantum mech, u wud say 'state')

graphene said:
a little off, but you could see a similar example in an atom.
though in an atom we don't speak in terms of velocoties of electrons, we speak in terms of energies.
u must have heard of "ionization energy".
that's the energy difference between infinity (zero energy) and the energy of a shell(classically, if u know quantum mech, u wud say 'state')

Thanks, so yes, I've heard the term, but not very strong on atomic physics. So are you saying that just as KE = PE for escape velocity in gravitation, the ionization energy (essentially KE) of the electron must equal the electrostatic potential energy in an atom in order for it to escape? That seems to have a lot of symmetry. If analogous to gravitation, then the equivalent of the "escape velocity" is twice the "orbital velocity" of the electron, which is essentially c x alpha at the bohr radius / ground state (I know, it's not really orbiting, but I think the approximate math holds right?). So the escape/ionization velocity would be 2c x alpha for that particular ground-state electron right? Or is it wrong to conclude that if the "orbital velocity" of the electron was doubled it would have enough energy to escape? Thanks again for your help.

1. What is the formula for escape velocity in electrostatics?

The formula for escape velocity in electrostatics is not a single formula, but rather a combination of different equations. However, one of the key equations used is the Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged particles at a given distance.

2. How is the concept of escape velocity applied in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, the concept of escape velocity is used to determine the minimum velocity required for a charged particle to escape the electric field of a charged object. This can be applied to situations such as determining the velocity needed for a charged particle to leave the Earth's atmosphere or the escape velocity needed for a spacecraft to leave the gravitational pull of a planet.

3. Is the concept of escape velocity the same in electrostatics as it is in classical mechanics?

No, the concept of escape velocity in electrostatics is not the same as in classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, escape velocity refers to the minimum velocity needed to escape the gravitational pull of an object, while in electrostatics it refers to the minimum velocity needed to escape the electric field of a charged object.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the escape velocity in electrostatics?

The distance between two charged particles has a direct impact on the escape velocity in electrostatics. As the distance between the particles increases, the force of attraction between them decreases, resulting in a lower escape velocity. On the other hand, a closer distance between particles would result in a higher escape velocity.

5. Can the concept of escape velocity in electrostatics be applied to all types of charged particles?

Yes, the concept of escape velocity in electrostatics can be applied to all types of charged particles, regardless of their mass or charge. This is because the force of attraction between two charged particles is dependent on their charges and the distance between them, rather than their individual masses.