Hensel's lemma (Understanding it's Proof)

• Thread starter sidm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, Hensel's lemma states that if a monic polynomial in A[x] factors into two relatively prime monic polynomials in k[x], then it can also be factored into two relatively prime monic polynomials in A[x]. The proof involves constructing polynomials g_n and h_n that converge to the desired polynomials g and h, with controlled degrees to maintain monicity.
sidm
We're are looking at a field, K, complete with respect to a (normalized nonarchimedean) valuation, ||, and let A be it's discrete valuation ring (all elements of K with absolute value less than or equal to 1) with maximal ideal m=(p), it's residue field k=A/m...now Hensel's lemma can be stated as follows: Let f be monic in A[x] and f' its image in k[x], if f'=g'h' in k[x] with g',h' monic and relatively prime in k[x] then there are g,h in A[x] both monic such that f=gh and g and h are relatively prime with g and h congruent to g' and h' respectively modulo m.

First off let me see if i got this straight: Say we're looking at Zp (completion of integers w.r.t. p) then to factor a monic polynomial in Zp[x] we only need to factor it over Zp/(p)[x] (which is isomorphic to F_p[x]!) ?

Now the proof is long winded but I will sketch it, it involves showing first that if the g' and h' are relatively prime over the residue field then g and h are in A[x] with u and v in A[x] with degrees less than g and h respectively s.t. gv+hu=1. Then we prove that if such a pair exists then it's unique. Now the last part is what I'm having trouble with, existence:

They construct the polynomials inductively at each step producing a g_n,h_n such that g_n is congruent to g_0 modulo m and similarly for h_n & h_o also that f=h_ng_n modulo m^{n+1}. The base case is obviously what we've been given as a hypothesis so then they proceed to build the next polynomials, they say they need a u and v with degu<deg(g_0), degv(v)<deg(h_0) such that f=(h_n+p^{n+1}v)(g_n+p^{n+1}u) modulo p^{n+2}. Note here p is the generator for m.

This is where I'm confused and also where the proof ends, why do the degrees of the polynomials of u and v have to be controlled?

So say we have all our h_n's and g_n's then we would take their limit (i.e the limits of the coefficients) which are well defined because the sequence defined by say the coefficient of x^i in the h_n's are cauchy:

say (m>n)
|h_n-h_m| is no bigger than |p^{n+1}| and the absolute value consists precisely of the sum of the differences of coefficients. But how do we actually know that each of these differences is small? It's clear that the total sum of these differences goes to zero but i don't know of a way to talk about the convergence of polynomials other than coefficient-wise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
well i have an answer tomy last question: h_n-h_m=p^{n+1}(something) thus the difference between coefficients of say x_i is a multiple of p^{n+1} is thus small. Thus h and g exist and clearly their product is equal to f:

f-gh has arbitrarily small absolute value (triangle inequality with h_ng_n for large enough n) so must be zero.

Still I'm not absolutely certain as to why the degrees of u and v above have to be controlled: maybe this is to maintain the monicity and degree of each iterant of the polynomial?

sidm said:
Still I'm not absolutely certain as to why the degrees of u and v above have to be controlled: maybe this is to maintain the monicity and degree of each iterant of the polynomial?
That sounds reasonable.

You know that g and h are monic, and you know their degrees. Modulo pk, gn couldn't possibly be congruent to g if gn wasn't also monic and of the same degree.

Sure, you could find a different Cauchy sequence that converges to g, but why?

1. What is Hensel's lemma?

Hensel's lemma is a mathematical theorem that is used in algebra and number theory to solve polynomial equations. It allows us to find roots of a polynomial equation modulo a prime number, which can then be extended to finding solutions in the real or complex numbers.

2. How does Hensel's lemma work?

Hensel's lemma works by using the concept of lifting, which involves finding a solution to a polynomial equation modulo a prime number and then "lifting" it to a solution in a larger number system, such as the real or complex numbers. This is done by using the properties of derivatives and congruences.

3. What is the proof of Hensel's lemma?

The proof of Hensel's lemma involves using mathematical induction and the Taylor series expansion of a polynomial to show that a solution can be lifted to a higher number system. It also involves using the properties of congruences and the fact that the derivative of a polynomial is non-zero modulo a prime number.

4. What are the applications of Hensel's lemma?

Hensel's lemma has various applications in mathematics, including in algebraic number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It is also used in solving diophantine equations and in finding roots of polynomials in finite fields.

5. Are there any limitations to Hensel's lemma?

While Hensel's lemma is a powerful tool in solving polynomial equations, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for polynomials with integer coefficients and cannot be applied to all types of equations. Additionally, it only gives a solution modulo a prime number, and further calculations may be needed to find a solution in the real or complex numbers.