Expression of Electric Field with known charges

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of Q2 and the expression for the electric field at the location of Q2. The solution involves using Coulomb's Law and the Pythagorean formula to calculate the distance between Q1 and Q2, and using the formula for the electric field to find the value of Q2. There is some confusion about whether the question is asking for the E-field by both charges or just Q1, and clarification should be sought from the teacher. The formula for the E-field is also given as \vec{E}=k\frac{q}{r^3}\vec{r}.
Alexstre

Homework Statement

I have 2 charges:
Q1 = 300 uC located at (1, -1, -3) m
Q2 = ?? uC located at (3, -3, -2) m

Q1 feels a force from Q2 of F1=(8i - 8j + 4k) N

1. Find Q2
2. Find the expression of the E-Field at (3, -3, -2) m (at Q2)

Homework Equations

F=(k|Q1*Q2|) / r^2
E=(k|q|) / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I've used the magnitudes:
Q1 = (1, -1, -3) m = [tex]\sqrt{1^2 + -1^2 + -3^2}[/tex]
F1 = (8i - 8j + 4k = 4 N

I found the distance between Q1 and Q2 using pythagorean formula: 3 meters.
Then I solved for Q2 using Coulomb's Law:
Q2 = 13.3 uC

For the second part, I know that since they ask for the expression of the electric field at the location of Q2, Q2 will not contribute to the value. Beside that, I'm a bit lost.

Do I need to use the distance between Q1 and Q2, then solve for E=k|q| / r^2? What's |q| in this case?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The E-field by both charges is not definite at the positions of the charges. I think if the question is given by your teacher, you should seek clarification from him whether he asks for the E-field by both or the E-field contributed by only Q1 (if the latter, ignore Q2 as you only count Q1 in the E-field by Q1). Otherwise, you should ignore the question, as it doesn't have an appropriate answer.

hikaru1221 said:
The E-field by both charges is not definite at the positions of the charges. I think if the question is given by your teacher, you should seek clarification from him whether he asks for the E-field by both or the E-field contributed by only Q1 (if the latter, ignore Q2 as you only count Q1 in the E-field by Q1). Otherwise, you should ignore the question, as it doesn't have an appropriate answer.

I'm assuming it's the latter; that I can ignore Q2 and only count Q1. I'm still not sure how to do it though. Is |q| in E=k|q| / r^2 simply the value of Q1?

Thanks!

Do you have to count something else besides Q1 when calculating something created by only Q1? :wink:

EDIT: By the way, the question asks for the E-field which is a vector, not just its magnitude. You may find this formula helpful [tex]\vec{E}=k\frac{q}{r^3}\vec{r}[/tex]

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. To find the expression for the electric field at the location of Q2, you can use the formula E=(k|q|) / r^2, where |q| is the magnitude of the charge at that location. In this case, since we are looking at the electric field at the location of Q2, |q| would be the magnitude of Q2, which you have already calculated to be 13.3 uC.

You can also use the distance between Q1 and Q2 to calculate the electric field at Q2. The distance between the two charges would be 3 meters, as you have correctly calculated. So the expression for the electric field at (3, -3, -2) m would be E=(k|Q2|) / (3)^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

What is the formula for calculating the electric field between two known charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field between two known charges is given by E = k * (Q1 * Q2) / r^2, where E is the electric field in N/C, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

How do I determine the direction of the electric field between two known charges?

The direction of the electric field between two known charges is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience when placed in the electric field. The force will be in the direction of the electric field if the test charge is positive, and in the opposite direction if the test charge is negative.

Can the electric field be zero between two known charges?

Yes, the electric field can be zero between two known charges. This occurs when the charges are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign, or when the distance between the charges is infinite.

How does the electric field change when the distance between two known charges is altered?

The electric field between two known charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge. In other words, electric field describes the force that a charge would experience at a given point, while electric potential describes the energy that a charge would have at a given point. Electric potential is also a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.