Suggestions on how to learn calculus BEFORE I take the series

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-teaching calculus before taking classes. Some suggestions mentioned include watching Khan academy videos and having a strong foundation in Algebra and Trigonometry. It is also recommended to read from a textbook and practice exercises. Additionally, a resource from the University of Houston is mentioned as a helpful tool for learning.
Entropee
Gold Member
Hey guys, I feel too lazy to peruse the forums at this hour, just finished finals week (whew). If anyone has any suggestions, books, video lectures, or otherwise, on how to somewhat sufficiently teach myself calculus BEFORE I take calc classes, please let me know. So basically starting with limits and derivitaves, etc... THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try watching some Khan academy videos. They're really great!

Whoa just looked at those... SO COOL! Have you used them before?

Yes, I have. I used it to learn myself differential equations. Khan academy gives good and easy explanations and examples. But it is absolutely necessary to also read things from a textbook and work out many exercises!

For me, I concentrated on having a solid foundation in Algebra and Trigonometry. With that, calculus so far has been a breeze.

Know your identities, inverses, how to complete the square, radicals, multiplying by conjugate etc.

Yeah the only thing was I wanted to take it in the summer, where instead of 11 weeks its 6 weeks. So they speed through it.

1. How can I prepare for learning calculus before I take the series?

One way to prepare for learning calculus is to review basic algebra and geometry concepts, as these are the foundation for calculus. You can also practice solving problems involving functions, limits, and derivatives to build your skills. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the terminology and notation used in calculus can be helpful.

2. Are there any specific resources or textbooks that you recommend for learning calculus?

There are many resources available for learning calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. It's best to choose a resource that aligns with your learning style and goals.

3. How important is it to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry before learning calculus?

A strong foundation in algebra and geometry is essential for understanding calculus. Many calculus concepts build upon these fundamental mathematical principles, so it's important to have a solid understanding of them before diving into calculus.

4. Can I learn calculus on my own, or should I take a class?

It is possible to learn calculus on your own, but taking a class can provide structure, support, and guidance from a knowledgeable instructor. If you choose to learn on your own, make sure to utilize resources such as textbooks, online courses, and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning calculus?

Learning calculus can be challenging, so it's important to stay motivated and committed to your studies. Set small goals for yourself and celebrate your progress along the way. Additionally, try to find real-world applications of calculus to keep yourself engaged and see the practical uses of what you are learning.