Answer: Calculating Lattice Binding Energy of MgO Crystal

In summary, the question asks for the total binding energy of the Mg ion in a crystal lattice of MgO, where the Mg ion is surrounded by 6 Oxygen atoms. The system behaves as though there were separate interactions between Mg and each of the Oxygen ions, and the total binding energy can be calculated using the coulombic force of attraction and repulsive force at the equilibrium bond length. The question may be asking for the electron binding energy rather than the forces involved.
devillenator

Homework Statement

In a crystal lattice of MgO, the Mg is surrounded by 6 Oxygen atoms as shown.
Assume that the ions all behave as point charges.

If the system behaves as though there were separate interactions between Mg and each of
the Oxygen ions what is the total binding energy of the Mg ion?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_c = -K/a^2[/tex]
[tex]F=\frac{dE}{da}[/tex]
[tex]F=F_c+F_R[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I'm quite confused with this question.

I can find the coulombic force of attraction using [tex]F_c = -K/a^2[/tex] if i take a to be the equilibrium bond length and look up values for the ionic radii.

Now that i know the attraction force i can then work out the repulsive force as at the equilibrium bond length the attractive force is balanced by the repulsive force.

my problem is that because the forces balance the net force is zero , so what is the total binding energy of the iron.

Physics news on Phys.org
would anyone agree that the question is asking for the electron binding energy and that i was trying to find the wrong thing?

im still stuck with this.

Thanks
Sean

1. What is lattice binding energy?

Lattice binding energy is the amount of energy required to separate a crystal into its individual ions or atoms. It is a measure of the stability of a crystal lattice.

2. How is lattice binding energy calculated?

The lattice binding energy can be calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which takes into account the formation energy, ionization energy, and electron affinity of the ions in the crystal. It can also be calculated using the Madelung constant, which considers the electrostatic attraction and repulsion between ions in the lattice.

3. Why is calculating lattice binding energy important?

Calculating lattice binding energy can provide valuable information about the stability and strength of a crystal structure. It can also help in predicting the properties of a material, such as its melting point and hardness.

4. How is lattice binding energy related to chemical bonding?

Lattice binding energy is a measure of the strength of the chemical bonds between ions in a crystal. Higher lattice binding energy indicates stronger bonds and a more stable crystal structure.

5. Can lattice binding energy be experimentally measured?

Lattice binding energy cannot be directly measured experimentally, but it can be estimated through various techniques such as X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy. The calculated lattice binding energy can then be compared to the estimated value to validate the accuracy of the calculation.