1(square)=1 but ,2 square not equal to 2

• Thread starter creater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In the first case, we are adding two quantities together, resulting in 4, while in the second case, we are saying that 1 is equal to 1. So even though they may both involve multiplication, the operations and outcomes are different.
creater
hi all,
it may sound silly .. but when we look at this logically

1 X 1= 1.. that is 1(square) is 1

but

2 X 2 not = 2

i don't understand why?

please help me understand this

Physics news on Phys.org
Really?

Likely its because 2x2= 4, not 2.

I sense Troll.

Because you can fit four 1x1 squares into one 2x2 square.

creater said:
1 X 1= 1 ... but 2 X 2 not = 2
You left out 0 x 0 = 0. In fact, a little known fact is the fact that the ancient Greeks were aware of the fact that 2 x 2 not = 2 and for this reason, abandoned algebra to the Arabs while studying geometry instead. When young Gauss was in kindergarten, he noticed that [itex]\infty [/itex]x[itex] \infty = \infty[/itex]. This appeased the Greeks somewhat and now they study algebra too. If I'm not mistaken, the Arabs also study geometry, so all's well with the world. Don't upset the apple cart.

creater said:
hi all,

but

2 X 2 not = 2

i don't understand why?

Yet 3 ft x 3 ft = 1 square yard!

And, even more bizarre, 50 ft x 100 ft = 1 rectangular yard. (At least if your neighborhood is flat. If your yard is sloped, I'm scared to even try to figure out what 50 ft x 100 ft equals.)

creater said:
hi all,

but

2 X 2 not = 2

i don't understand why?

Because 2 x 2 is equivalent to saying 2 + 2 whereas 1 x 1 is equivalent to saying 1=1

1. Why is 1(square) equal to 1, but 2 square not equal to 2?

This is because when we square a number, we are multiplying it by itself. So 1(square) is equal to 1 because 1 multiplied by itself is still 1. However, with 2 square, we are multiplying 2 by itself, resulting in 4. Therefore, 2 square is not equal to 2.

2. Is this a mathematical rule or just a coincidence?

This is a mathematical rule. When we square a number, we are performing a mathematical operation that results in a new value. In this case, squaring a number will always result in a larger value.

3. Can this rule be applied to all numbers?

Yes, this rule can be applied to all numbers. Whenever we square a number, we are always multiplying it by itself, resulting in a larger value.

4. How does this concept relate to geometry?

In geometry, we use squares to represent the area of a shape. The length and width of a square are both equal to its side length. So when we calculate the area of a square, we are essentially squaring its side length to find the total area.

5. Are there any other mathematical operations that follow a similar rule?

Yes, there are other mathematical operations that follow a similar rule. For example, when we cube a number, we are multiplying it by itself three times. So 1(cube) is equal to 1, but 2 cube is equal to 8, not 2. This is because 2 multiplied by itself three times is equal to 8.