No, I'm serious. Being bitten by a dog is no laughing matter.

• Thread starter DeathKnight
  • Start date
In summary, a pet dog bit the speaker on their way home from tuition. The dog's owner came to the rescue and the speaker went to the hospital for treatment. The speaker and others discussed the incident and shared tips for dealing with dogs in the future. The speaker was lucky to escape with only bruises and a scary experience.
DeathKnight
I've been bitten by a dog!

Today, about 5 hours ago, when we (I and my two friends) were on our way home from my tuition, a pet dog came running towards us. Initially, we all thought that since it was pet dog it wouldn’t bite us so we didn’t change our course but just after few seconds we realized that it was going to do it. We had only seconds to run. We were walking in such a way that I was in the middle of my two friends. When we saw it, one of my friends, who was on my right-hand side, started running to the right and other one to the left. I had no way to run except in the opposite direction. The dog chose the way of least resistance and started running after me.
I tried to run as fast as my legs could carry me but unfortunately I slipped down.
That was it. I can still remember that I pushed it away away two times with my hand when he was going to bite me. When I eventually get the chance to run, he bit me on my upper left side of my back. Thanks God I was wearing my school uniform (a blazer, a jersey and of course a white shirt) along with one T-shirt and an underwear (It’s cold here). Owning to this and I think (and so do the doctors) that its teeth didn’t come in contact with my skin. I did get a large print of its teeth on my back and some other bruises but still it could have been worse. I can’t imagine what would have happened if the dog’s owner hadn’t come to my rescue. I immediately went to a nearby hospital's emergency ward. There the doctors gave me two injections along with a prescription of 5/6 more injections and few drugs.
This was the most scary and horrible moment of my life. It happened so fast that there wasn’t anything I could do about it. I’ll never be able to forget it. I was really lucky!

EDIT: Man I'm sure that I'm going to start an ANTI-DOG movement. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That dog should not be allowed to run free. The owner should be contacted to keep their pet under control.

Glad you got away with just bruises. That's the reason we have leash laws here in the US. Dogs aren't supposed to be allowed off their leashes when being walked. Not that people all follow the law, nobody wants to believe their pet could bite someone, but they are animals afterall.

Moonbear said:
Not that people all follow the law, nobody wants to believe their pet could bite someone, but they are animals afterall.
That's true. That dog could be as sweet as can be to its owner, or it may even nip at them if it is spoiled into believing it is "top" dog. The owner of a dog like that will believe that the dog might nip but not bite, but if the dog nips it is "training" its owner to respect it as top dog and will likely bite at a stranger who is an assumed threat to that position. In my opinion, that dog is not properly trained.

A pretty useful trick against many dogs, except trained attack dogs, is to bend down as if you are picking up a stone. The dog will usually pull up and stop their attack, then you can move slowly away.

Was this a big dog? If it was, then I guess you got lucky. If it was a small dog (or just not a rottweiler, pitbull, german shepard, etc.), then personally I would have not ran at all, and when the dog got close enough I would have kicked it. Sorry, I may like dogs, but I am certainly not going to let one attack me.

Man you can find loads of stray dogs on the streets in Pakistan. This trick works best on them. I've tried this myself but I really dun think that it would have scared that dog off.
IRT matt.
It WAS a big dog.

I'm really glad that you're okay DeathKnight. That was a terrifying experience...it would be for anyone. You were lucky, thank goodness.

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. It does sound like you did the only thing you could.

Artman said:
A pretty useful trick against many dogs, except trained attack dogs, is to bend down as if you are picking up a stone. The dog will usually pull up and stop their attack, then you can move slowly away.

Actually, you're probably better off with a trained attack dog. They are usually VERY well trained, mostly so they don't go attacking their trainer too! With a trained dog, you don't EVER want to turn your back on them and run, that will trigger the attack. Standing perfectly still and facing them is the best thing. Actually, with most dogs, they will chase what moves, and chase faster what runs, so as frightening and counter-intuitive as it sounds, staying very still is usually better than running. You can't outrun a dog anyway. In this particular situation, someone was going to get bit, it was just a matter of which of the three of them it picked to chase since it couldn't run in 3 directions at once. Someone should bite the owner for letting it run around off a leash. :devil:

DeathKnight said:
It WAS a big dog.

Well I don't blame you for running then; I would have done the same thing :smile:

I've had a couple dog encounters too, so I speak from experience.

Standing your ground is the best option. The quick, duck-to-pick-up-stone action or the feigned chuck-stone-at-dog action both work very well to scare the dog a little. This will weaken its resolve. Always face the dog, move very slowly...and never run.

Glad you're okay DK.

Next time: Bite the doggie in the snout before it bites you.
However big the dog is, its snout is extremely sensitive.
It will run as fast as it can away from you, yelping and whining.

I'm relieved you are OK.

arildno said:
Next time: Bite the doggie in the snout before it bites you.
However big the dog is, its snout is extremely sensitive.
It will run as fast as it can away from you, yelping and whining.

This works well for sharks too. They have the greatest concentration of nerve endings at the tip of their snout (nose)...so if you ever get accosted by a mean-looking stray shark, whack it on its honker.

I got bit (many times) several months back, you where very lucky that the dog didnt get a good hold on you, i needed three stitches in my finger and many sticky stitches all over my arms.

Why run?

Kick it in the ****ing head, and teach that son of a ***** a lesson.

I'd grab a weapon and beat it.

Glad you're ok DK, that had to be frightening.

As others have said standing your ground is usually the best option. Dogs (and people too technically) have an animal psychology, they back down in front of the stronger animal. Running shows fear, and asserts their dominance.

That said, i probably would have run too in the heat of the moment, even if logic tells me the best thing would have been to stand, yell, and nail it in the nose with my foot.

franznietzsche said:
Glad you're ok DK, that had to be frightening.

As others have said standing your ground is usually the best option. Dogs (and people too technically) have an animal psychology, they back down in front of the stronger animal. Running shows fear, and asserts their dominance.

That said, i probably would have run too in the heat of the moment, even if logic tells me the best thing would have been to stand, yell, and nail it in the nose with my foot.

Exactly, one hit and the dog will probably back down. If not, hit again.

JasonRox said:
Exactly, one hit and the dog will probably back down. If not, hit again.

Yes, but i probably would have run like DK. Insticitive fear, gut reaction. Logic takes longer to kick in than those and by then I'm already running/

Thanks for your concern guys!

This is why I always say you should never go anywhere without a fat person. This way you don't have to outrun a speedy animal, you only have to run faster than your "big boned" friend.

tribdog said:
This is why I always say you should never go anywhere without a fat person. This way you don't have to outrun a speedy animal, you only have to run faster than your "big boned" friend.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love being freakishly skinny despite the gargantuan apetite.

I find that standing your ground is the best way to fend off a possible attack. Look big, look unafraid & angry, and if anything, lean towards it.

The dog will make a big racket, but will respect you rather than seeing you as fleeing prey.

Worst case, if it is going to bite you, you might as well be facing it and fully able to defend youself. Because not going to outrun it, and you're sure not going to hurt it with your fleeing heels.

Oh, I thought this was the marriage thread.

Dayle Record said:
Oh, I thought this was the marriage thread.

Was that supposed to be a joke?

1. What are the common risks of being bitten by a dog?

The common risks of being bitten by a dog include infection, scarring, nerve damage, and the potential for serious injuries such as broken bones or puncture wounds.

2. Can being bitten by a dog lead to diseases?

Yes, being bitten by a dog can lead to diseases such as rabies, tetanus, and bacterial infections. It's important to seek medical attention immediately after a dog bite to prevent any potential diseases from developing.

3. How should I treat a dog bite?

If the bite is minor, you should wash the area with soap and water and apply an antibiotic ointment. For more severe bites, seek medical attention as soon as possible. It's important to keep the wound clean and monitor for any signs of infection.

4. What should I do if a dog bites me?

If a dog bites you, it's important to remain calm and try to slowly back away from the dog. Do not make any sudden movements or try to run away. Once you are in a safe place, seek medical attention and report the incident to the proper authorities.

5. How can I prevent being bitten by a dog?

To prevent being bitten by a dog, it's important to always ask for permission before approaching a dog, avoid making sudden movements, and never disturb a dog while it is eating or sleeping. If you encounter an aggressive dog, try to remain calm and slowly back away. It's also important to teach children about proper behavior around dogs to prevent any potential bites.