Should the Feynman graph for muon decay include an arrow on the W boson?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman graph of muon decay and the possibility of writing it in different ways. However, both ways are identical and the choice of including or not including arrows is a matter of preference and convenience. The Feynman diagrams are more complex than they may seem and have various interpretations.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

The Feynman graph of muon decay is
attachment.php?attachmentid=45391&stc=1&d=1332436463.gif

and I asked my professor if we could also write
attachment.php?attachmentid=45392&stc=1&d=1332436463.gif

and he said no, because then out of nothingness an electron and an (anti)electron-neutrino would appear and send out a boson to the muon.

However, I was not very convinced, so I wanted to double check here. Thank you!

Attachments

• muon_decay.gif
    muon_decay.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 890
  • muon_decay2.gif
    muon_decay2.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Those diagrams are identical. Because the [itex]W^+[/itex] is the antiparticle of the [itex]W^-[/itex], the direction of the momentum in the Feynman graph relates them. Your professor is really just choosing the option that makes the most sense from the point of view of cause and effect.

But if they're identical, isn't his choice illusory?

The W doesn't get an arrow. It's not a fermion. Simple as that.

mr. vodka said:
But if they're identical, isn't his choice illusory?

As a practical matter we only have to consider one of those diagrams, not both. The first makes complete sense as a decay process. The second has a stranger interpretation. There is a certain about of bias, completely reasonable in my opinion, to choose the first. From the point of view of getting a number out at the end of a computation, it doesn't matter. Feynman was quite fond of the interpretation of an antiparticle as the particle traveling backwards in time. It is probably the case that always drawing diagrams with particles traveling forwards in time could avoid some confusion at some point, but it is not necessary if you're completely consistent.

Vanadium 50 said:
The W doesn't get an arrow. It's not a fermion. Simple as that.

Actually, that's not correct. The arrow on the W boson represents "charge flow". And it is fine to include it, even though it is not a fermion. Indeed, when you have charged bosons, it is useful to include arrows to make sure to distinguish charge and momentum flow in a Feynman diagram (it could lead to minus signs).

The point is that (as fzero correctly mentioned) both of these diagrams are identical diagrams! Remember that in Feynman's perturbation theory (with the [itex]+i\epsilon[/itex] in the propagator) a single Feynman Diagram represents an infinite number of graphs where things happen in various time-order. The choice of Feynman propagator then picks out the correct time-ordered contributions. Feynman diagrams are more slick than many people give them credit for!

A nice description of this is in the relatively older text, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mandl and Shaw (see, for example, Sec 4.4 of the "Revised Edition").

But it's normal not to include the arrow because it's completely unnecessary - and confusing - as you point out, it's one diagram, not two. And without the arrow, it's explicitly one diagram. I don't ever think I have seen anyone stick an arrow on the W in this process. Ever.

Fermions, however, must have arrows, or, as you say, you will drop a minus sign.

What is a "Muon decay Feynman graph"?

A "Muon decay Feynman graph" is a visual representation of the decay process of a muon particle. It shows the interactions between particles involved in the decay and helps explain the fundamental forces at play.

What is the purpose of a "Muon decay Feynman graph"?

The purpose of a "Muon decay Feynman graph" is to provide a clear and concise way to understand the decay process of a muon particle. It helps scientists visualize and analyze the interactions between particles and make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles.

How do scientists create a "Muon decay Feynman graph"?

Scientists use mathematical equations and principles, such as Feynman diagrams, to create a "Muon decay Feynman graph". These diagrams show the interactions between particles and are based on the laws of quantum mechanics and the Standard Model of particle physics.

What information can be gathered from a "Muon decay Feynman graph"?

From a "Muon decay Feynman graph", scientists can gather information about the particles involved in the decay process, such as their mass, charge, and spin. They can also understand the fundamental forces at play and use this information to make predictions and further their understanding of subatomic particles.

Why is the "Muon decay Feynman graph" important in particle physics?

The "Muon decay Feynman graph" is important in particle physics because it helps scientists understand the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It also provides a visual representation of complex equations and principles, making it easier to communicate and analyze data in the field of particle physics.