Does anyone have wireless with Fedora?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the conversation relates to the installation of Fedora on a laptop and the lack of drivers for wireless cards. The use of ndiswrapper to install Windows drivers in Linux is discussed, with one user providing simplified instructions for the process. The topic of video card drivers is also briefly mentioned, with a suggestion to try the madwifi driver for an Atheros chipset. The conversation ends with the original poster expressing gratitude for the help provided.
Townsend
I just installed Fedora on my laptop and it works pretty good, no major problems or anything like that. My only complaint is the lack of drivers for wireless cards. there is something called ndiswrap that can be used to make your window drivers work in linux but it is pretty complicated to do and I am a total novice. Have any of you gone through this process of installing a windows driver for your wireless card?

If so maybe you could help me out with some advice on how this is done.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
What wireless card are you using?

Gigabyte GN-WPEAG wireless network PCI Adapter

I have checked everywhere for drivers. The link you provided has some Ndis wrapper drivers there too but like I said they seem pretty complicated to install.

I appreciate the help..

Installing a windows driver with ndiswrapper isn't that hard. Here is some simplified instructions:

1. Make sure you have the kernel sources installed. On the fedora cd it is called the kernel development packages.

2. Download ndiswrapper:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.0.tar.gz?download

3. Extract ndiswrapper with the following command-line statement:

tar -zxvf <whatever your file is called.tar.gz>

Just put the filename.tar.gz of ndiswrapper after the -zxvf

4. cd <ndiswrapper directory>

When the files get extracted see which folder was created.

5. su

Enter your root password when prompted

6. make

7. make install

8. Go to windows and download the driver for the the card:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/Communication/FileList/Driver/wpeag.v.3.1.2.21.02.zip

9. Unzip the file.

10. Find the .inf and .sys files and put them on a floppy or whatever to transfer them over to linux

11. Go back to linux and copy over the files into a directory. You can create a directory by doing:

mkdir <directory name>

12. type:

su

enter root password when prompted

12. Enter that directly and type the following:

ndiswrapper -i <filename.inf>

followed by

ndiswrapper -l

13. add the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf

options ndiswrapper if_name=eth0
alias eth0 ndiswrapper

13. type:

modprobe ndiswrapper

14. type:

dhcpcd eth0

15. At this time you should be able to connect to the internet. If not try adding eth0 in the fedora network configurations located in the systems menu or somewhere around there.

16. If all is good run this command:

ndiswrapper -m

17. Finally add the following line in /etc/modules.conf (I think that's what it is called in fedora)

ndiswrapper

-----

If you still have problems just ask

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...It is working now. I guess there is just some syntax I am going to have to learn. It took me a while but now it is working very good.

Now to my video card driver...I have an ati 9700 mobility. I have not tried anything yet so it might not be too bad. If I have any more problems I will ask you guys.

Thank you very much for all the help

Good to hear that. ATI doesn't have the greatest linux drivers but it should work. Nvidia, by far, has the best drivers.

1. What is wireless?

Wireless refers to the transmission of data or information without the use of physical cables or wires. It allows devices to connect to the internet or other devices without the need for a physical connection.

2. Can Fedora support wireless connections?

Yes, Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that supports wireless connections. It has built-in drivers and tools to enable wireless functionality.

3. How do I set up wireless on Fedora?

To set up a wireless connection on Fedora, you will need to first ensure that your wireless device is recognized and supported by the operating system. Then, you can use the built-in NetworkManager tool to scan for and connect to available wireless networks.

4. What if my wireless device is not recognized by Fedora?

If your wireless device is not recognized by Fedora, you may need to install additional drivers or firmware. You can check the Fedora wiki or community forums for specific instructions on how to do this for your particular device.

5. Can I troubleshoot wireless connection issues on Fedora?

Yes, Fedora has various tools and resources available for troubleshooting wireless connection issues. These include built-in diagnostic tools, community forums, and official documentation. You can also seek assistance from the Fedora community for further support.