Kinetic energy, movement <-> energy ?

This means that the energy was transferred from your body to the ball, causing it to move. However, according to the book 'Principles of Chemistry', kinetic energy is defined as the energy that a body possesses due to its movement. This means that the ball already had kinetic energy before you kicked it, and you simply added to it by giving it more energy. Both perspectives are valid, but they emphasize different aspects of kinetic energy.
miibay
Hi there,

I always thought that kinetic energy was the energy associated to a movement, ie, I have a ball in movement so I had printed the energy of my body on it when I kicked the ball, right? So I gave energy to the ball that started to move it. energy -> movement.
However, I was reading the book 'Principles of Chemistry' and in its definition of Kinetic energy they have 'energy given to a body by its movement', which according to my understanding means that I gave the energy to the ball when I kicked it and then the ball started to move, so movement -> energy.

Please help me! I'm so confused!

Thank you all in advance :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A body in motion has kinetic energy. (See: Kinetic Energy)

When you kicked the ball, you exerted a force on the ball through a certain distance, which resulted in the ball gaining kinetic energy.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the energy that an object has because of its mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to movement?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or shape. Kinetic energy is a form of energy in motion, while potential energy is a form of stored energy.

4. How is kinetic energy measured?

Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J) in the SI system. It can be calculated using the formula KE= 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

5. How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy is important in everyday life as it is the energy that allows objects to move and do work. It is essential for activities such as walking, running, driving, and any other form of movement. Kinetic energy is also harnessed in various technologies, such as turbines and generators, to produce electricity.