Solve GR Equations with Regular Method

In summary, you need to choose a coordinate system that would give you a valid \delta(x^1 - a) for your problem. There are only a few possible transformations, and if you have a lot of masses, you may need to use a different coordinate system for each mass.
quZz
Hi everyone,

I don't fully understand what is the regular method to state and solve problems in GR when no handy hints like spherical symmetry or homogeneity of time are assumed. If I find myself in arbitrary reference frame with coordinates [itex]x^0[/itex], [itex]x^1[/itex], [itex]x^2[/itex], [itex]x^3[/itex] the meaning of which is unknown beforehand (or known only locally), how do I proceed with boundary conditions and stress-energy tensor?

Consider the following simple problem: two point masses [itex]m_1[/itex], [itex]m_2[/itex] are separated by distance [itex]a[/itex]. Obviously [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is a sum of two delta functions. Suppose the first mass is at the origin but where then is the second mass? Should I write [itex]\delta(x^1 - a)[/itex] or [itex]\delta(\sqrt{(x^1)^2 + x^1 x^2} - a)[/itex] or ...? You may say - OK, choose the coordinates in such a way that [itex]\delta(x^1 - a)[/itex] would be valid. But there are only 4 possible coordinate transformations, what if I had thousands of point masses?

So it seems that in general a statement of a problem in GR is interconnected with its very solution, which is confusing: are all problems solvable? uniquely? what would a "real mccoy" equation look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
quZz said:
Hi everyone,

I don't fully understand what is the regular method to state and solve problems in GR when no handy hints like spherical symmetry or homogeneity of time are assumed. If I find myself in arbitrary reference frame with coordinates [itex]x^0[/itex], [itex]x^1[/itex], [itex]x^2[/itex], [itex]x^3[/itex] the meaning of which is unknown beforehand (or known only locally), how do I proceed with boundary conditions and stress-energy tensor?

Consider the following simple problem: two point masses [itex]m_1[/itex], [itex]m_2[/itex] are separated by distance [itex]a[/itex]. Obviously [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is a sum of two delta functions. Suppose the first mass is at the origin but where then is the second mass? Should I write [itex]\delta(x^1 - a)[/itex] or [itex]\delta(\sqrt{(x^1)^2 + x^1 x^2} - a)[/itex] or ...? You may say - OK, choose the coordinates in such a way that [itex]\delta(x^1 - a)[/itex] would be valid. But there are only 4 possible coordinate transformations, what if I had thousands of point masses?

So it seems that in general a statement of a problem in GR is interconnected with its very solution, which is confusing: are all problems solvable? uniquely? what would a "real mccoy" equation look like?

As starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM_fo...Numerical_Solutions_of_the_Einstein_Equations

Read here about the ADM formalism in general, then its use for initial value problems in numerical relativity. Of course, start with wikipedia with a grain of salt, and study the references.

1. What are GR equations?

GR equations refer to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What is the regular method for solving GR equations?

The regular method for solving GR equations involves using mathematical techniques such as tensor calculus and differential geometry to manipulate and solve the equations.

3. How do I know which method to use for solving GR equations?

The regular method is the most commonly used approach for solving GR equations, as it is the most straightforward and intuitive. Other methods, such as numerical solutions, are typically used for more complex or specific scenarios.

4. Are there any limitations to the regular method for solving GR equations?

Yes, the regular method may not be applicable in certain scenarios, such as when dealing with highly non-linear systems or situations with extreme gravitational fields. In these cases, other methods may need to be used.

5. Can I solve GR equations without a strong background in mathematics?

No, a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus and geometry, is necessary for solving GR equations using the regular method. It is recommended to have a background in physics and general relativity as well.