How Do You Transform Electromagnetic Dipole Moments When Boosting Orthogonally?

In summary, transforming electromagnetic dipole moments can be done by using the magnetic potential and transforming it to the new frame or by looking at the boost component to find a relation. Another method is to write the Lagrangian in terms of moments and use the antisymmetric 2nd-rank tensor in Minkowski space-time. This tensor transforms under Lorentz transformations and can be used to determine the electric and magnetic dipole density vector fields. Another option is to use the magnetization-polarization tensor.
kuecken
I just wondered how I transform electromagnetic dipole moments.
For example assuming I have magnetic dipole moment μ in a frame without E dipole moment. Then I boost orthogonal to μ. Now I would like to determine the electric dipole moment.

I could use the magnetic potential and transform it to the new frame. But this quiet tedious to me.
My second guess was to argue that there is a linear dependence of the magnetic fields on μ.
And the E field in the new frame will also have a linear dependence on B and thus on μ. By looking at the boost component I could also find a relation. But this would assume that I have an electric dipole moment in the new frame.

I just wondered whether there is any easier and more elegant method.
I would be very glad about any advise.
Thank you :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought: writing the Lagrangian in terms of moments.

It's just better to start from covariant expressions. As the electromagnetic field itself the electric and magnetic dipole moment densities build an antisymmetric 2nd-rank tensor in Minkowski space-time:

[tex]M^{\alpha \beta}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 \\
-P_1 & 0 & -M_3 & M_2 \\
-P_2 & M_3 & 0 & -M_1 \\
-P_3 & -M_2 & M_1 & 0
\end{pmatrix},[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] are the electric and magnetic dipole density vector fields of the 1+3-dimensional formalism.

They transform under Lorentz transformations as any other 2nd rank tensor components
[tex]M'^{\gamma \delta} = {\Lambda^{\gamma}}_{\alpha} {\Lambda^{\delta}}_{\beta} M^{\alpha \beta}.[/tex]

oh really? I was looking for sth like this. that's good thank you!

Magnetization-polarization tensor I found it now

What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule or atom. It is represented by a vector pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge.

How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge separation by the distance between the charges.

What is meant by transforming dipole moment?

Transforming dipole moment refers to the change in the magnitude or direction of the dipole moment of a molecule or atom due to changes in its structure or environment.

What factors affect the dipole moment of a molecule?

The dipole moment of a molecule is affected by the electronegativity of the atoms involved, the bond lengths and angles, and the overall molecular geometry.

Why is dipole moment important in chemistry?

Dipole moment is important in chemistry because it helps determine the polarity of molecules, which affects their physical and chemical properties such as solubility, reactivity, and intermolecular forces.