Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Physics news on Phys.org
First post mine!
:tongue:

Congratulations Enigman! You should have been in our trivia quiz yesterday, it was a lot of fun!

I'm kinda proud I was the last one who posted in the last thread (besides Evo)

cb

Evo said:
Congratulations Enigman!

Thankee milady. :biggrin:
You should have been in our trivia quiz yesterday, it was a lot of fun!
Will be there next time.
:smile:

I'm thinking about upgrading my membership. The price is pretty reasonable. Why not?

You won't get a return once you get banned.

Likes SammyS
I had a "random" train of thought/joke idea during my rehearsal this morning.

Imagine a warm, summer night. The sun has just fallen out of sight from the beach, which overlooks a gorgeous expanse of water. A man and a woman look at each other as they sit together on a rock, surrounded by sand, their gazes romantic to such a degree as to border on comedy. Suddenly, the man pulls out a box, getting on one knee. It is a completely mediocre proposal, until the woman stops and asks, "Where's the ring?"

"Can't you see it? It's the trivial ring!" :tongue:

And...that's all.

Mandelbroth said:

Imagine a warm, summer night. The sun has just fallen out of sight from the beach, which overlooks a gorgeous expanse of water. A man and a woman look at each other as they sit together on a rock, surrounded by sand, their gazes romantic to such a degree as to border on comedy. Suddenly, the man pulls out a box, getting on one knee. It is a completely mediocre proposal, until the woman stops and asks, "Where's the ring?"

"Can't you see it? It's the trivial ring!" :tongue:

And...that's all.

The trivial ring is not empty, so I don't get why she doesn't see it.

micromass said:
The trivial ring is not empty, so I don't get why she doesn't see it.
It contains a "0." Typically, I think of 0 as being "nothing." :tongue:

(To clarify, "nothing" in terms of the fact that it's the additive identity. I know the trivial ring isn't empty.)

Mandelbroth said:
It contains a "0." Typically, I think of 0 as being "nothing." :tongue:

0 might be nothing, but the set containing 0 is not nothing.

Nothing is what it seems.

micromass said:
0 might be nothing, but the [strike]set[/strike] ring containing 0 is not nothing.
...alright. If and when you decide to get married, you can propose with the trivial ring. We'll see if your significant other thinks it's "not nothing." :rofl:

Mandelbroth said:

"Can't you see it? It's the trivial ring!"
:tongue:

And...that's all.​

(No, it isn't)
:devil:

MjAxMi0wNDdhODdiM2YwOWM5Njhj.png

I should add a sigh here. Sigh.

Drawing at a coffeehouse tonight I got stuck at a table in front of people studying biology. One guy didn't get haploids and diploids or mitosis and meiosis so they had to explain it to him over and over and over. I hate all those terms now.

zoobyshoe said:
Drawing at a coffeehouse tonight I got stuck at a table in front of people studying biology. One guy didn't get haploids and diploids or mitosis and meiosis so they had to explain it to him over and over and over. I hate all those terms now.

At least you got it. :p

drizzle said:
At least you got it. :p
Not me. I kept waiting for them to explain meowsis; the division of cat cells.

Lol!

zoobyshoe said:
Not me. I kept waiting for them to explain meowsis; the division of cat [STRIKE]cells.[/STRIKE]*

*Correction:
hC4DE5094.jpg

Haploids and diploids.
Count your blessings they weren't discussing hemorrhoids.

I think I shouldn't worry much about making connections and being more social. It is ok to enjoy yourself and stay home instead of going to parties etc.

Likes gracy
Can one patent an equation? For example could Einstein have patented his field equations?

Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.
I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.

Also got into a huge debate over the classical "If spacetime is curved, what's curving?" question layfriends love to ask.

Last edited:
Lol dude what part of NYC are you at?

I feel great when someone asks a question in a thread and I know the answer.

cb

Enigman said:
*Correction:
hC4DE5094.jpg
I hate it when I think up a completely original joke term and it turns out I'm the 27,000th person to think it up all on their own for the first time.

Does anyone ever have these highly philosophical internal cerebrations in the least likely of places?
I.E. Thinking about recurring patterns in one's own life in a cheap motel bathroom.

I'm going to be PF Gold for 6 months. Neat!

cb

HomogenousCow said:
Does anyone ever have these highly philosophical internal cerebrations in the least likely of places?
I.E. Thinking about recurring patterns in one's own life in a cheap motel bathroom.
Tactics to spark creativity
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323611604578398342398991844
[...] Walking away from a problem to do simple, routine tasks, and letting the mind wander in the process, can spark creative new connections or approaches to solving dilemmas, says a 2012 study in Psychological Science. That helps explain why "a lot of great ideas occur at transition times," when people are waking up or falling asleep, bathing, showering or jogging, says Jennifer Wiley, a psychology professor at University of Illinois at Chicago and lead author of a 2012 research summary in Current Directions in Psychological Science. [...]
(couldn't be bothered to find the study though :P)

Physicsforums has reached the milestone of 200,000 members. wow!

cb

I seem to do my best work after a glass of wine. I've also had moments of clarity whilst out walking or in the bath. The human brain is rather odd.

If you can't see then you don't know what you are looking at

Ripley said:
I seem to do my best work after a glass of wine. I've also had moments of clarity whilst out walking or in the bath. The human brain is rather odd.

Beer makes men smarter: study
Wiley conceded that her findings run counter to popular belief that alcohol hinders analytical thinking and muddies the mind.

“We have this assumption, that being able to focus on one part of a problem or having a lot of expertise is better for problem solving,” says Wiley. “But that’s not necessarily true. Innovation may happen when people are not so focused. Sometimes it’s good to be distracted.”

It may also help explain why raving drunks like Ernest Hemingway, John Cheever or Charles Bukowski were able to write their books.

“Sometimes the really creative stuff comes out when you’re having a glass of wine over dinner, or when you’re taking a shower,” Wiley said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/beer-men-smarter-study-article-1.1059752

(Note though study seems to explicitly mention subjects were men)

HomogenousCow said:
Can one patent an equation? For example could Einstein have patented his field equations?

Nope, as I understand it mathetmatical formula/equations are considered as being "natural" and can't be patented. I was just talking to a patent lawyer last week who had a degree in math and said he got out of math because there's no way to make money off your "inventions".

I hate it when I randomly start feeling anxious. Right now I'm having some dumb concerns, such as "will my father make it home from work today? What if something happens to me when I catch the bus to go to college today?".

I could do something to distract my mind, but the high you get from doing something else only lasts for a short time. Then I start feeling anxious again. Maybe I'm just being dumb. Everything is ok in my life, there is no need to be worried. God, I need a therapist or something.

cb

<h2>1. When will Random Thoughts - Part 4 be released?</h2><p>The release date for Random Thoughts - Part 4 has not been announced yet. Stay tuned for updates!</p><h2>2. Will there be any changes in the format of Random Thoughts - Part 4?</h2><p>At this time, there are no plans to change the format of Random Thoughts - Part 4. It will continue to feature random musings and observations.</p><h2>3. Can we expect any new topics to be covered in Random Thoughts - Part 4?</h2><p>Yes, Random Thoughts - Part 4 will cover a variety of new topics and ideas. However, the exact content is still being finalized.</p><h2>4. Will there be any guest contributors in Random Thoughts - Part 4?</h2><p>There may be some guest contributors in Random Thoughts - Part 4, but it is not confirmed yet. Stay tuned for updates!</p><h2>5. How can I submit my own random thoughts for consideration in Random Thoughts - Part 4?</h2><p>If you would like to submit your own random thoughts for consideration, please contact the publisher or editor of the publication. They will provide you with more information on the submission process.</p>

1. When will Random Thoughts - Part 4 be released?

The release date for Random Thoughts - Part 4 has not been announced yet. Stay tuned for updates!

2. Will there be any changes in the format of Random Thoughts - Part 4?

At this time, there are no plans to change the format of Random Thoughts - Part 4. It will continue to feature random musings and observations.

3. Can we expect any new topics to be covered in Random Thoughts - Part 4?

Yes, Random Thoughts - Part 4 will cover a variety of new topics and ideas. However, the exact content is still being finalized.

4. Will there be any guest contributors in Random Thoughts - Part 4?

There may be some guest contributors in Random Thoughts - Part 4, but it is not confirmed yet. Stay tuned for updates!

5. How can I submit my own random thoughts for consideration in Random Thoughts - Part 4?

If you would like to submit your own random thoughts for consideration, please contact the publisher or editor of the publication. They will provide you with more information on the submission process.