Creation of heavy elements: r and s process

In summary, the r-process involves capturing two neutrons in a shorter time than the average beta decay half-life, requiring a large amount of neutrons, which are mainly produced by ionized hydrogen atoms and certain fusion and spallation reactions. These environments, such as supernovae, are expected to be rich in neutrons.
Gideon
Hi, I'm studying my astronomy course at the moment and i have question about the r- and s-process. As I understand it, in the r-process, the time between capturing two neutrons is shorter than the averge beta decay half life, right? So I'm guessing there have to be a lot of neutrons around for the r process to take place. But where do all these neutrons come from?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gideon said:
Hi, I'm studying my astronomy course at the moment and i have question about the r- and s-process. As I understand it, in the r-process, the time between capturing two neutrons is shorter than the averge beta decay half life, right? So I'm guessing there have to be a lot of neutrons around for the r process to take place. But where do all these neutrons come from?
It is mostly ionized H atoms, simply protons, among free electrons (=plasma) that gets the stars going in the core. See mainly pages 3-5 of this link:

http://www.genesismission.org/educate/scimodule/SunandSolar/Final%20Linked%20SSW/6AppendicesCari/a.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Neutrons can come from certain fusion reactions of light isotopes, and from spallation reactions in the heavier nuclides.

See also - https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=506354&postcount=7, which mentions reactions concerning production of superheavy elements.

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums, Gideon!

Others have already answered your question, in one sense; perhaps (however) you meant something like 'in what environments are such floods of neutrons likely to occur?'

Supernovae, of the core collapse kind - can you now find out why such environments are expected to be so 'neutron-rich'?

1. What is the r process and how does it contribute to the creation of heavy elements?

The r process, or rapid neutron capture process, is a nuclear reaction that occurs in supernovae explosions. It involves the rapid capture of neutrons by atomic nuclei, resulting in the creation of heavy elements. This process is responsible for the creation of about half of the elements heavier than iron in the universe.

2. How does the s process differ from the r process in the creation of heavy elements?

The s process, or slow neutron capture process, is a much slower nuclear reaction that occurs in the cores of stars. It involves the capture of neutrons over a longer period of time, resulting in the creation of heavier elements. The s process is responsible for the creation of the other half of elements heavier than iron in the universe.

3. What are the main elements created through the r process?

The r process primarily creates elements such as gold, platinum, and uranium. These elements have high atomic numbers and are considered to be some of the heaviest elements in the periodic table.

4. How does the creation of heavy elements through the r and s processes affect the evolution of stars and galaxies?

The creation of heavy elements through the r and s processes plays a crucial role in the evolution of stars and galaxies. These elements are essential for the formation of planets and the development of life. They also contribute to the energy production and dynamics of stars, and the chemical composition of galaxies.

5. Can the r and s processes be observed in action today?

Yes, the r and s processes can be observed in action today in various astronomical events such as supernovae explosions and neutron star mergers. These events release large amounts of energy and heavy elements into the universe, providing valuable insights into the creation of heavy elements.