Hedonism defined in terms of sentience.

• Thread starter the_truth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, a hedonist believes that only their own pleasure and pain matter in the universe, as there is no proof that other people are sentient. However, this belief is incorrect as there is evidence to suggest that other people are sentient and the hard problem can be overcome by the scientific method. Additionally, there are other potential outcomes for a hedonist, such as acknowledging other people's sentience but not caring. Furthermore, the concept of evil is often attributed to causing pain to sentient beings, and the lack of proof for one's own sentience can lead to dilemmas regarding the scientific method. Ultimately, hedonism is not an accurate definition as it neglects the possibility of other people's sentience and the influence of external
the_truth
A hedonist believes the following.

"There is only proof that I am sentient. There is no proof that you are sentient. Therefore my will is the only thing that matters in the universe."

This is of course wrong as there is evidence to suggest that you are sentient as we both share certain properties, you merely cannot prove conclusively that other people are sentient due to the hard problem. The hard problem though isn't hard as it is obsoleted by the scientific method, thus hedonism is an incorrect definition.

www.dictionary.com
Psychology. The doctrine holding that behavior is motivated by the desire for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

This is only one of 3 outcomes as a hedonist may also: acknowledge that other people are sentient and not care; not recognise the factors at hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you mixing up hedonism ("Only pleasure and pain matter") with selfishness ("Only my will matters")? And it has seemed to me for a long time that all society is based on a fundamental leap of faith:"Never mind the lack of evidence, I DO believe that other people are not zombies!"

"Aren't you mixing up hedonism ("Only pleasure and pain matter") with selfishness ("Only my will matters")? And it has seemed to me for a long time that all society is based on a fundamental leap of faith:"Never mind the lack of evidence, I DO believe that other people are not zombies!""

Evil is defined as causing pain to sentient beings. It is usually thought that greedy people don't care when they commit evil, but it could also be due to the hard problem, that you cannot prove your are sentient because you cannot make another entity perceive what you perceive.

This also leads to the proof that we have that other people are sentient, being that they also have human brains and brings other dilemmas concerning scientific method and the need for an observer in scientific method.

1. What is hedonism?

Hedonism is a philosophical concept that focuses on the pursuit of pleasure or happiness as the ultimate goal of life. It suggests that pleasure and happiness are the only things that are inherently valuable and should be the driving force behind all actions.

2. How is hedonism defined in terms of sentience?

Hedonism defined in terms of sentience is a specific type of hedonism that places emphasis on maximizing the pleasure and minimizing the pain experienced by sentient beings, such as humans and animals. It suggests that the well-being of sentient beings should be the primary consideration in all actions.

3. Is hedonism considered a selfish philosophy?

This is a common misconception about hedonism. While it does prioritize individual pleasure and happiness, it also promotes the well-being of others because the happiness of all sentient beings is seen as important. In fact, many hedonistic philosophers argue that true happiness can only be achieved by considering the happiness of others.

4. Can hedonism be applied to all aspects of life?

Hedonism can be applied to different areas of life, such as personal relationships, work, and leisure. However, it does not suggest that one should constantly seek pleasure and avoid pain at all costs. Hedonism also acknowledges the importance of balance and moderation in pursuing pleasure.

5. What are the criticisms of hedonism?

One of the main criticisms of hedonism is that it oversimplifies the complexities of life and reduces it to a pursuit of pleasure. It also does not take into account the long-term consequences of actions and the potential harm that may come from seeking pleasure. Additionally, some argue that hedonism is not a sustainable philosophy as it can lead to a never-ending pursuit of pleasure and ultimately, dissatisfaction.