Identifying Coordination Compounds: [CU(CN)3]2- and [Ni(H2O)6]2+

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
In summary, substances are materials with a definite composition and distinct physical and chemical properties. They can be classified as elements, compounds, or mixtures and have both physical and chemical properties. Substances are named based on their composition and structure and have various everyday uses, such as water for drinking and salt for flavoring food.
joejo
1) [CU(CN)3]2- =tricyanocuprate (I)

2) [Ni(H2O)6]2+ =hexaaquanickel (II)

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
joejo said:
1) [CU(CN)3]2- =tricyanocuprate (I)
Correct.

2) [Ni(H2O)6]2+ =hexaaquanickel (II)

It's "aquo", not "aqua", but otherwise, it's okay.

I would have said hexaaquanickel too... but maybe that's just my exam board?! :smile:

1. What are substances?

Substances are materials that have a definite composition and distinct physical and chemical properties. They can exist in different states, such as solid, liquid, or gas.

2. How are substances classified?

Substances can be classified as elements, compounds, or mixtures. Elements are pure substances made up of only one type of atom. Compounds are substances made up of two or more elements chemically combined. Mixtures are combinations of two or more substances that are physically combined and can be separated by physical means.

3. What are the properties of substances?

Substances have both physical and chemical properties. Physical properties include characteristics such as color, density, and melting point, while chemical properties describe how a substance interacts with other substances and undergoes chemical reactions.

4. How are substances named?

Substances are named based on their chemical composition and structure. For elements, the name is typically based on their atomic number or a common name. Compounds are named based on the elements present and their relative proportions.

5. How are substances used in everyday life?

Substances have a wide range of uses in everyday life. For example, water (H2O) is used for drinking, cooking, and cleaning. Salt (NaCl) is used for flavoring food and melting ice on roads. Substances such as iron (Fe) and copper (Cu) are used in construction and manufacturing of various products.