Does L'Hospital's rule apply to complex functions?

In summary, the given limit is equal to a complex oscillating expression and does not exist as x approaches infinity. This is because the real and imaginary parts oscillate between larger and larger positive and negative numbers, making the limit infinity. It may be helpful to consider different boundary conditions for the quantum mechanics problem.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have to evaluate

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-1}{e^{ipx/\hbar}}[/tex]

is this equal to

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\hbar}{ip e^{ipx/\hbar}}[/tex]

??

Physics news on Phys.org
L'Hospital's rule only applies when a limit approaches [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex]. Niether is the case here because [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}e^{ix}[/itex] does not exist. The real and imaginary parts oscilate between -1 and 1 as x approaches infinity. Your limit is equal to:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-1}{e^{ipx/\hbar}} =\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (x-1)\cos{\frac{ipx}{\hbar}}-i(x-1)\sin{\frac{ipx}{\hbar}[/tex]
So the real and imaginary parts both oscillate between larger and larger positive and negative numbers as x gets larger, so the limit does not exist.

Dang. I guess I was trying a little too hard to make this QM problem work :tongue2:

ok so the answer is infinity
we have some thing bounded in the denominator
and the numerator goes to infinity

I suggest you choose different boundary conditions at infinity for your QM problem.

1. Can L'Hospital's rule be applied to complex functions?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule can be applied to complex functions as long as the functions are differentiable and the limit is of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞.

2. What is L'Hospital's rule for complex functions?

L'Hospital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, by calculating the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then taking the limit of the resulting fraction.

3. Are there any restrictions when using L'Hospital's rule for complex functions?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using L'Hospital's rule for complex functions. The functions must be differentiable at the point of interest, and the limit must be of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞. Additionally, the limit must exist and be finite.

4. Is L'Hospital's rule applicable to all types of complex functions?

No, L'Hospital's rule is not applicable to all types of complex functions. It can only be used for functions that are differentiable and have a limit of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞. In cases where the limit is not of this form, other methods must be used to evaluate the limit.

5. Is there a step-by-step process for using L'Hospital's rule on complex functions?

Yes, there is a step-by-step process for using L'Hospital's rule on complex functions. First, identify the indeterminate form of the limit. Then, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. Finally, take the limit of the resulting fraction. If the limit still remains indeterminate, repeat the process until a finite value is obtained.