Name of microscopic organism that photosynthesises and has phlagellum.

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organism
In summary, the animal described is a euglena, which is a eucarya in the kingdom Euglenoza, order Euglenida, family Euglenales, and genus Euglena. It has a phlagellum, actively pursues food, and is green due to its chloroplast.
wasteofo2
I remember looking at this animal under a microscope in 7th grade, but I just cannot remember it's name. It had a phlagellum, moved around freely, would actively pursue food, was roughly the shape of a protist, and was green due to its chloroplast. So if anyone could tell me it's kingdom/phylum etc or anything about it, that'd be helpful.

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe the little bugger you're referring to is a euglena.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/euglena.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to both of you.

1. What is the name of the microscopic organism that photosynthesises and has phlagellum?

The name of the microscopic organism that photosynthesises and has phlagellum is Euglena.

2. How does Euglena photosynthesize?

Euglena photosynthesizes using chloroplasts, which are organelles that contain chlorophyll and other pigments that absorb light energy. This energy is then used to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen.

3. What is the function of the phlagellum in Euglena?

The phlagellum in Euglena acts as a whip-like structure that helps the organism to move through its environment. It also helps in the process of photosynthesis by allowing the organism to position itself towards a light source.

4. Where can Euglena be found in nature?

Euglena can be found in a variety of aquatic environments, such as ponds, rivers, and streams. It can also be found in soil and on the surface of plants.

5. Is Euglena harmful to humans?

No, Euglena is not harmful to humans. It is a non-pathogenic organism and does not pose any known health risks to humans. In fact, it is commonly used in scientific research and as a food source for aquatic animals.