Emailing departments for research assistant job?

In summary, it doesn't seem like it would be very successful to cold email a research position at a DOD lab. There are few positions available and the ones that are available are usually given to people that use the standard application process.
Simfish
Gold Member
I'm just curious - has anyone (with a BS or PhD) done this before? And has this ever been successful?

It doesn't need to be a postdoc job or anything - just research assistant.

I'm not intending to do this right now, but I may consider this option in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
I'm just curious - has anyone (with a BS or PhD) done this before? And has this ever been successful?

I've never heard of someone getting a job via a cold call e-mail. I don't think it's very likely to work, because if they have money for a research assistant, they are going to give it to a graduate student that applies through the standard application process.

I have heard of undergraduates informally getting a job as a lab assistant, but this is with the university that they were already attending. I've also heard of people getting positions after they've sent an e-mail to someone after then have been informed through the grape vine that something was open. But even in these situations its was to confirm that there was something there, and they had to send over a standard application.

I'm not intending to do this right now, but I may consider this option in the future.

It doesn't seem promising to me. The trouble is that there aren't that many research positions, and what positions there are go to people that use the standard application process.

I cold emailed several PIs at DOD labs. I received 4 calls backs. One of them was 2 hours after I sent out the first email! I think I could have had offers from all four PIs but I jumped on the first offer. I was really worried about the economy and should have played it slower. It all really depends on the funding at the lab. The year I came in they had a ton of money for "extra" people. This year, not soo much because of the continuing resolution.

nbo10 said:
I cold emailed several PIs at DOD labs. I received 4 calls backs. One of them was 2 hours after I sent out the first email! I think I could have had offers from all four PIs but I jumped on the first offer. I was really worried about the economy and should have played it slower. It all really depends on the funding at the lab. The year I came in they had a ton of money for "extra" people. This year, not soo much because of the continuing resolution.

Cool.

Also, what I said before applies only to university departments. Among corporations, the way that you get a job is basically to spam e-mail the right people, and it looks like the same is true with DOD labs.

One thing about defense is that citizen/residency requirements eliminates a lot of people. If your parents are major Party officials in China, then your application to work in a US-defense industry is going to have problems.

I can understand your curiosity about reaching out to departments for research assistant positions. While it is not a common approach, it is not unheard of for individuals with a BS or PhD to email departments in search of a research assistant position. However, the success rate of this approach may vary depending on the specific department and their current needs. It is always worth considering all avenues when searching for job opportunities, but it is important to also be aware of the potential challenges and competition involved in this approach. Ultimately, it is important to have a strong and relevant skill set and to present yourself professionally in any communication with potential employers. Best of luck in your future job search endeavors.

1. How do I find the email addresses of departments to inquire about research assistant positions?

You can typically find the email addresses of departments on their university or organization's website. Look for a "Contact Us" or "Faculty/Staff Directory" page, or search for the specific department's website.

2. What should I include in my email when reaching out for a research assistant position?

Your email should include a brief introduction of yourself and your qualifications, a statement expressing your interest in the department's research, and a request for any available research assistant positions.

3. Is it appropriate to email multiple departments for research assistant jobs?

Yes, it is acceptable to email multiple departments for research assistant positions. However, make sure to personalize each email and tailor it to the specific department's research.

4. How long should I wait for a response after emailing a department for a research assistant job?

It is appropriate to follow up after about a week if you have not received a response. However, keep in mind that departments may receive a high volume of emails and it may take some time for them to respond.

5. Should I attach my resume and/or CV to the email when inquiring about a research assistant position?

It is recommended to attach your resume and/or CV to the email when inquiring about a research assistant position. This will provide the department with more information about your qualifications and make it easier for them to consider you for a position.