Why the fundamental laws of nature is the way it is?

In summary, the conversation discusses the arbitrary nature of the world and the role of scientists in studying and discovering fundamental laws of nature. The question of why these laws exist and why we live in a universe with these particular laws is brought up, with some speculating that it may be due to the principle underpinning the laws. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that there may not be a concrete answer to these questions.
PhysicsMonk
The world seems to me to be rather arbitrary. I don 't know if people feel the way I do.

Scientists apply for government grants to gather data, and conduct experiments. Some scientists look at the data, and write down equations. If those equations are sufficiently fundamental, then some people called them fundamental laws of nature. Later on, more people do experiments, look at equations, and attempt to write down a set of( or one) equations that is suppose to express even more fundamental deep regularities. The question I wonder about is "why?". Why these regularities? Why don 't we live say live in a universe with a completely different set of fundamental laws? I can 't imagine self-reflective observers can live in a universe with a logically contradictory set of laws, but why now a universe with a set of non-contradictory set of laws? The laws cannot be too simple, because there might not be any life. So, why don 't we live in a universe with a set of consistent laws, and complex enough set of laws that are able to produce self-reflective thinkers?

Space news on Phys.org
There is no answer to this. It's just the way it is.

You seem to answer your own question. A universe with different rules would be not only strange, but quite unstable.

My favorite answer is "because it follows from the principle underpinning the laws."

1. Why do the fundamental laws of nature exist?

The fundamental laws of nature exist because they govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Without these laws, the universe would not function in a predictable and consistent manner.

2. How were the fundamental laws of nature determined?

The fundamental laws of nature were determined through observations, experiments, and mathematical models. Scientists have studied the behavior of matter and energy and have used these observations to develop theories and laws that accurately describe the fundamental forces and principles at work.

3. Can the fundamental laws of nature be changed?

The fundamental laws of nature are considered to be immutable, meaning they cannot be changed. These laws are the foundation of the universe and any change to them would result in a completely different reality.

4. Are there exceptions to the fundamental laws of nature?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to the fundamental laws of nature. However, some laws may only apply under certain conditions or at certain scales, such as the laws of quantum mechanics that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How do the fundamental laws of nature impact our daily lives?

The fundamental laws of nature play a crucial role in our daily lives, from the way objects fall to the ground due to gravity, to the way electromagnetic forces allow us to use technology and electricity. These laws also shape the behavior of all living organisms and dictate the functioning of our planet and the entire universe.