I was wondering what this "self-communication" entails.

• Thread starter Epoxy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-communication and the benefits it can have. The participants share their experiences of talking to themselves and how it has helped them concentrate or cope with loneliness. They also mention talking to inanimate objects and the potential consequences of growling or making animal noises. The conversation ends with a quote about the advantage of talking to oneself and how it can help with self-discipline.
Epoxy
Hello, ever since I was a small child I have talked to myself. I was wondering what this "self-communication" entails.

Physics news on Phys.org
I talked to myself as well - probably well into university. For me, it helped concentration. Sometimes, I would just growl, or hum. Some of my student colleagues thought I was a bit weird - especially about the growling part.

I carry out two way conversations with myself in the mirror. He doesn't seem to think it's weird, but I have my suspicions.

I speak to myself quite often. It is a good thing to talk with someone intelligent now and then.

Borek said:
I speak to myself quite often. It is a good thing to talk with someone intelligent now and then.
I need to talk to myself so I can speak to someone unintelligent now and again. My wife and my dog are just too smart.

What do you mean by "talk to myself"?

I don't just talk to myself. I interrupt myself while... Ohh puppies.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I talked to myself as well - probably well into university. For me, it helped concentration. Sometimes, I would just growl, or hum. Some of my student colleagues thought I was a bit weird - especially about the growling part.
Yeah, growling is definitley not normal. :eek:

Evo said:
Yeah, growling is definitley not normal. :eek:
It's the hound in me.

Astronuc said:
It's the hound in me.

Oh, you dog.:tongue:

Duke says "Hi".

Yea, and I talk to inanimate objects too. Especially when they hurt me. Growling included.

I've been known to moo at cows.

My wife used to incite the roaming BIA bulls with moos - the result was panicked retreat into the house a flattened front fence. Bulls 'in the mood' are not to be messed with.

Monique said:
It Doesn’t Mean You’re Crazy – Talking to Yourself Has Cognitive Benefits
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120417221613.htm

Living alone now, I think this may be why I'm talking to myself more. :cry:

"One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's listening." Franklin P. Jones once said.

It's easier to discipline myself when I say it out loud :smile:

"stop messing around, get back to what you were doing.. what was I doing?"

1. What is "self-communication"?

Self-communication refers to the act of communicating with oneself, usually through thoughts, introspection, or self-talk. It is a process of reflecting on one's own thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in order to gain insight and understanding.

2. Why is self-communication important?

Self-communication is important because it allows individuals to better understand their own thoughts, feelings, and motivations. It can also help to improve self-awareness, problem-solving skills, and decision-making abilities.

3. How is self-communication different from talking to oneself?

Talking to oneself is a form of self-communication, but it is not the only way to communicate with oneself. Self-communication can also involve non-verbal cues, such as body language and facial expressions, as well as introspection and reflection.

4. Can self-communication be learned?

Yes, self-communication can be learned and practiced. Just like any other skill, it takes time, effort, and self-awareness to improve one's self-communication abilities. Techniques such as journaling, mindfulness, and therapy can also help individuals develop better self-communication skills.

5. Is self-communication beneficial for everyone?

Self-communication can be beneficial for most individuals, as it can lead to increased self-awareness and personal growth. However, some individuals may struggle with self-communication due to certain mental health conditions or communication barriers. In these cases, seeking professional help may be beneficial.