Complex conjugates of functions

In summary, the conversation discussed a complex function f and its conjugate, f*, and their product f(z)f*(1/z*). It was mentioned that this product can be decomposed into a function of the real and imaginary parts of f. The possibility of using identities or inequalities involving this product was also considered.
brmath
I am looking at a complex function f(z) and want to know something about f(z)f*(1/z*). We could assume for now that f(z) is analytic or at least meromorphic. Are there any identities involving this product? Is there any way to decompose the f*(1/z*) into a function of f?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
brmath said:
I am looking at a complex function f(z) and want to know something about f(z)f*(1/z*). We could assume for now that f(z) is analytic or at least meromorphic. Are there any identities involving this product? Is there any way to decompose the f*(1/z*) into a function of f?
Caveat: You mean "a complex function ##f##." ##f(z)## is the image (or "output") of ##z## under the function ##f##. This is a common abuse of notation.

Suppose ##f(x+iy)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)##, where ##u## and ##v## are real-valued functions. Then, we have that ##\bar{f}(\frac{1}{x-iy})=\bar{f}(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}+i\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})-iv(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})##.

Thus, we have ##f(z)\bar{f}(\bar{z}^{-1})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})u(x,y)+v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2})v(x,y)+i (u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) v(x,y)-v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) u(x,y))##.

Hi, I'll try not to write f(z) when I mean f. I already know that 1/z* = z/|z|. I had hoped there are some standard indentities or inequalities involving f(z)f*(1/z*).

1. What are complex conjugates of functions?

Complex conjugates of functions are pairs of functions that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. They are denoted by adding a bar over the function, for example, f(z) and f̅(z).

2. Why are complex conjugates of functions important in mathematics?

Complex conjugates of functions are important because they allow us to work with complex numbers in a more manageable way. By taking the complex conjugate of a function, we can simplify calculations and make them more intuitive.

3. How do we find the complex conjugate of a function?

To find the complex conjugate of a function, we simply replace all instances of the imaginary unit, i, with -i. For example, if the function is f(z) = 3 + 2i, then its complex conjugate would be f̅(z) = 3 - 2i.

4. What is the relationship between complex conjugates and the complex plane?

The complex conjugate of a function is a reflection of the function across the real axis on the complex plane. This means that the complex conjugate of a function will have the same distance from the real axis, but on the opposite side.

5. Can complex conjugates be applied to all functions?

Yes, complex conjugates can be applied to all functions that involve complex numbers. This includes polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. The complex conjugate of a function will also be a function, and the two will have the same real values but different imaginary values.