How do you integrate √(sinθ + 1)?

• Thread starter Kavorka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation is about solving a polar arc length problem involving the integral of √(sinθ + 1). The speaker has tried using double u-sub and trig sub, but got the wrong answer. They then tried using Wolfram Alpha and got a different answer. They are wondering how Wolfram Alpha obtained the integral. Another person suggests using the substitution x = tan(θ/2) and the speaker realizes that their initial substitution was restricting the domain too much. The conversation ends with a summary of the correct integral being 2√(1 - sinθ) + C.
Kavorka
I have a polar arc length problem that comes down to integrating √(sinθ + 1). Through double u-sub and trig sub I got it to be -2√(1 - sinθ) but that seems to be wrong. Wolfram Alpha says that the integral is [2√(sinθ + 1)(sin(θ/2) - cos(θ/2)] / [sin(θ/2) + cos(θ/2). I'm wondering how this is obtained.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, can someone check this for me? I must be doing something stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, this has to be some special case

[itex]\displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+\sin \theta} d \theta[/itex]

sub in.

[itex]\theta = \sin^{-1}x[/itex]

[itex]d \theta = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\int \frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{\sqrt{(1+x)(1-x)}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1-x}dx[/itex]

integrate and resub, but that doesn't really work out, don't know what to tell you I got the same answer

[itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}+c[/itex]

Last edited:
saminator910 said:
Ok, can someone confirm this for me? I must be doing something really stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

[itex]\displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+\sin \theta} d \theta[/itex]

sub in.

[itex]\theta = \sin^{-1}x[/itex]

[itex]d \theta = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\int \frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{\sqrt{(1+x)(1-x)}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1-x}dx[/itex]

integrate and resub, but that doesn't really work out.

[itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}+c[/itex]

It's correct. The derivative of [itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}[/itex] is
[tex]-2\frac{-\cos\theta}{2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \frac{\cos\theta}{\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \frac{\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}}{\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \sqrt{1+\sin \theta}[/tex]

But apparently we are dividing by 0 somewhere here. The problem with the substitution is that we're restricting our domain of [itex]\theta[/itex] to [itex][-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}][/itex], and x to [-1,1]. When differentiating we are also further restricted to x in (-1,1).

What I've learned when doing integrals involving trigonometry is this: try the magical substitution [itex]x = \tan(\frac{\theta}{2})[/itex].

EDIT: upon some calculations i think this might not work

Last edited:
Notice that:
$$\sqrt{1+\sin x}=\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)$$
Integrating gives:
$$\int \sqrt{1+\sin x}\,dx=2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)+C$$
Multiply and divide by ##\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)## i.e
$$2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)=\frac{2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) - \sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)\left( \sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)}{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)}$$
Rewrite
$$\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\sqrt{1+ \sin x}$$
Hence,
$$\int \sqrt{1+\sin x}\,dx=\frac{2\sqrt{1+\sin x}\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)}{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)}+C$$
The above result is same as ##2\sqrt{1-\sin x}+C##, W|A likes to complicate the things. :tongue2:

1. What is the formula for integrating √(sinθ + 1)?

The formula for integrating √(sinθ + 1) is ∫√(sinθ + 1)dθ = 2sin⁻¹(√(sinθ + 1)) + C.

2. How do you simplify √(sinθ + 1) before integrating?

To simplify √(sinθ + 1), you can use the trigonometric identity sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 to rewrite it as √(1 - cos²θ). Then, you can use the double angle formula for cosine to further simplify it to √(2cos²(θ/2)).

3. What are the limits of integration for integrating √(sinθ + 1)?

The limits of integration for √(sinθ + 1) depend on the specific integral being solved and the context of the problem. They can range from 0 to π/2 or from -π/2 to π/2, among other possibilities.

4. Is there a substitution that can be used for integrating √(sinθ + 1)?

Yes, there are multiple substitutions that can be used for integrating √(sinθ + 1). One common substitution is u = cosθ, which can be used to rewrite the integral as ∫√(1 - u²)du.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating √(sinθ + 1)?

Integrating √(sinθ + 1) can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. One example is in calculating the arc length of a curve, where √(sinθ + 1) can represent the speed of an object moving along the curve. It can also be used in calculating the work done by a force acting on an object moving in a circular path.