Register to reply

Physical therapy and bandages

by delete
Tags: bandages, physical, therapy
Share this thread:
delete
Jun18-14, 03:56 PM
P: 2
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Socioeconomic status and gender are associated with differences in cholesterol levels
Some women still don't underststand 'overdiagnosis' risk in breast screening
Plain cigarette packs don't hurt small retailers or boost trade in illicit tobacco
berkeman
Jun18-14, 04:05 PM
Mentor
P: 41,059
Quote Quote by delete View Post
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.
Just call their office to ask about the shower question today. I'm sure a nurse or somebody there can give you the answer. I'm guessing the answer will be "don't get it wet", but you should call them to be sure.

I doubt you will embarass the therapist. You may even learn something new...
SteamKing
Jun18-14, 09:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,525
Quote Quote by delete View Post

Issues:

As far as showering is concerned, you can purchase what is known as a 'cast cover'. These covers are available so that you can slip them on over an arm or a leg and take a shower without getting a cast or other bandage wet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leg-Cast-Pro...3D110835573102

These covers can usually be purchased locally from a medical supply house or well stocked pharmacy. The cover has a soft rubber top part thru which you insert your leg before showering. I use such a cover which fits up over my knee to protect the bandages I have on my leg.

Bell-Horn is one such manufacturer but they have a horrible web site. Google "cast protectors" to get pictures and a better idea of what is available.

Register to reply