Speed of light demo using pulsed electromagnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a pulsed electromagnetic coil and ferrofluid to demonstrate the speed of light. There are concerns about the feasibility of the project and the difficulty of using a standard spiral coil. The conversation also touches on the speed of signal propagation in copper and the effects of insulation on the velocity factor. The use of a transistor to generate an RF signal and the limitations of ferrofluid in responding to high frequency currents are also mentioned. Overall, the conversation delves into the technicalities and potential challenges of the proposed demonstration.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PF.

I've got an idea for a demonstration of the speed of light utilizing a pulsed electromagnetic coil and ferrofluid.

I'm concerned with the feasibility of this project as it may push the limits of semiconductor technology. I would appreciate any insight on the difficulties of this project since I'm not an electrical engineer. However, if it is feasible, i'll try to recruit some EEs to help me out.
Here's how I expect it to work:

When ferrofluid is placed on an electromagnet, the fluid is drawn to the magnetic field lines. With that in mind, I want to create a pulsed electromagnet where segments of the coil are energized and other aren't. This will result in the ferrofluid being attracted to the energized segments. The pulse duration will need to be about 1.2 nanoseconds with a coil diameter of 0.3m. calculation below:

At 0.66c the speed of light (signal propagation in copper) is 197863022 m/s. With a 0.3m diameter coil and a 0.23m pulse wavelength, the oscillation rate comes down to ~1.2 ns pulse rate.

The standard spiral coil which may make things difficult as more wire is required to make a revolution with the increasing radius. I wonder if there is a better winding geometry for this purpose. The wire on the coil will also need to be extremely small in diameter to allow for low current switching. I'm also concerned about rise/fall time and timing accuracy (I assume we'd use a crystal oscillator for a trigger).

I'm sure there's a lot of issues I haven't thought of which is why I'm posting here. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Given those ingredients, how do you operate the apparatus to get a result?
How do you interpret the result to get the speed of light?

The speed of signal propagation on bare copper is close to 98% of the speed of light.
It is about 66% in a coaxial cable with a sold polyethylene dielectric.

Ferrofluid will not respond to high frequency RF currents.
How fast do you expect the ferrofluid to move?

Do you need to know the frequency or the wavelength of the signal in the coil?

Baluncore said:
Given those ingredients, how do you operate the apparatus to get a result?

The device would simply be turned on and the ferrofluid would be attracted to the energized field segments. Tuning the pulse widths to match the coil will be the trick.

Baluncore said:
How do you interpret the result to get the speed of light?

I admit the experiment is a bit of a stretch, but you could say that in about a bilionth of a second, electricity has traveled 'this' far. I suppose I should re-title post to speed of signal propagation, not speed of light.

Baluncore said:
The speed of signal propagation on bare copper is close to 98% of the speed of light.
It is about 66% in a coaxial cable with a sold polyethylene dielectric.

I got the figure from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_delay which states "In copper wire, the speed s generally ranges from .59c to .77c.[1][2]"

Baluncore said:
Ferrofluid will not respond to high frequency RF currents.
How fast do you expect the ferrofluid to move?
I wanted to use a transistor that would simply turn on and off and not do a full wave from +5v to -5v.

Baluncore said:
Do you need to know the frequency or the wavelength of the signal in the coil?

I'm beginning to wonder if I've got my understanding backwards. I thought the signal would erect a standing wave in the coil, but you can't do that with electricity... The signal would propagate around the coil like anything else. The pulse wouldn't stay in the same location for no reason... Well, that really screws up this idea.

taylaron said:
I got the figure from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_delay which states "In copper wire, the speed s generally ranges from .59c to .77c.[1][2]"
Ah, but that is wikipedia. A signal actually travels in the insulation, on the copper, not in the copper. The velocity factor on a wire is simply determined by the dielectric constant of the insulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor

To measure the speed of propagation, (phase velocity), you will need to know two of three parameters. Only velocity, wavelength or frequency can be computed, given the other two.

Wavelength was used to specify very high frequencies because wavelength can be measured by setting up standing waves on an open ended transmission line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecher_lines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecher_lines#Measuring_the_speed_of_light

Ferrofluid has variable dielectric properties due to the oil and colloidal content that will change the phase velocity.
Ferrofluid responds to fixed or very slowly changing magnetic fields, not to high frequency RF fields or standing waves.

taylaron said:
I wanted to use a transistor that would simply turn on and off and not do a full wave from +5v to -5v.
That would generate an RF signal, the AC component, plus a DC offset. The DC component would control the ferrofluid, the AC component would not effect the ferrofluid.

It is hard to tell if a spiral pancake coil would couple between windings more or less than be like a length of transmission line in a spiral. The 1 nsec pulses would not fill the space about the spiral in any simple way. The pattern could be calculated if you knew the speed of light, but ferrofluid and your eyes would be too slow to show a pattern.

Ah, but that is wikipedia. A signal actually travels in the insulation, on the copper, not in the copper. The velocity factor on a wire is simply determined by the dielectric constant of the insulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor

yes exactly

I was going to post the same answer till I saw Baluncore's response :smile:
The velocity factor on a bare copper wire is ~ 0.98 c

as soon as you put plastic insulation on it, make it a track on a PCB etc you have introduced a dielectric into the equation and it significantly lowers the VF

and just in case you didn't understand this part of Baluncore's response ...
A signal actually travels in the insulation, on the copper, not in the copper

and question how a signal travels in the insulation

The signal travels as an EM wave outside the copper(other metal) wire (PCB track)
The wire primarily only acts as a "waveguide" guiding that EM wave from one part of the circuit to another.

Dave

Last edited:
Unless I'm wrong, there isn't a way to make this demonstration work. Correct?

-Tay.

That would appear to be the case.
I see many obstructions, but no solutions. I can see no way to do it.

1. What is the purpose of a speed of light demo using pulsed electromagnet?

The purpose of this demo is to visually demonstrate the speed of light by using an electromagnet to create an electromagnetic pulse and measure the time it takes for the pulse to travel a specific distance.

2. How does the pulsed electromagnet work in the speed of light demo?

The pulsed electromagnet generates a strong magnetic field when an electrical current is passed through it. This magnetic field interacts with the electric field of the electromagnetic pulse, causing it to travel at a constant speed.

3. What equipment is needed for a speed of light demo using pulsed electromagnet?

To perform this demo, you will need an electromagnet, a power source, a stopwatch or timer, a ruler or measuring tape, and materials to create the electromagnetic pulse (such as a capacitor, coil, and battery).

4. What is the significance of measuring the speed of light using this method?

Measuring the speed of light using a pulsed electromagnet allows for a hands-on demonstration of a fundamental physics concept. It also provides a more accurate measurement compared to other methods, as it eliminates human error in timing the pulse.

5. Can the speed of light demo using pulsed electromagnet be used for educational purposes?

Yes, this demo can be used in educational settings to help students understand the concept and significance of the speed of light. It can also be a fun and interactive way to engage students in learning about electromagnetism and the properties of light.