Fiber art: A new alternative to paint?

In summary, these sisters are using a different style of quilting that involves using extreme fabrics and stitching. It is not something that I would do, but it is an interesting art form.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This human interest story caught my attention. Could this be a new art form?

http://www.lubbesmeyerstudio.com/_media/popups_and_thumbnails/l_poppies.jpg

http://www.lubbesmeyerstudio.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's COOL!

Neat! At first I thought it was just quilting, but then as I read, I realized they do it a bit differently than quilting is done.

Sort of like extreme quilting? :biggrin:

not for my home... not especially new idea... but being sisters and using this style of marketing may make this collectible ... but i don't buy things for this reason... so I'm still not interested.

Things that fall under the heading of Fiber Art have been around since man discovered the use of fibrous things.

Fiberarts Magazine
Address:http://www.fiberartsmagazine.com/

What these two women are doing may or may not be a specific technique unique to them, I can't really tell. You do find similar things on the extreme edges of quilting, where people are exploring it as an art form to be hung on the wall, rather than as working bedcovers.

What people are doing with quilts has become really spectacular over he past 30 years or so, and there is a very strong "quilts as art" movement that has produced some stuff I find mind-bogglingly elaborate and super-rich for being quilts.

Embroidery entered quilting in the 1880's, I believe, with the sudden popularity of the Crazy Quilt, whose irregular shaped patches are always bordered with elaborate embroidery stitches. Alot of quilt artists take the use of embroidery thread from that tradition, and go wild with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful works here...I am an avid quilter myself, and it is a very "mathematical" art because of the symmetry of the pieces. But this takes art would see so abstract yet exact to have to create these.

1. What exactly is fiber art and how is it different from traditional paint?

Fiber art is a type of artwork that uses materials such as fabric, yarn, and thread to create pieces. It is a form of textile art that focuses on the manipulation of these materials to create visual or tactile effects. Unlike traditional paint, which is applied to a surface, fiber art involves the physical manipulation and combination of materials to create a piece.

2. What are the benefits of using fiber art instead of paint?

Fiber art offers a unique and tactile experience for both the artist and the viewer. It allows for a wide range of textures, colors, and techniques to be used, creating a dynamic and visually interesting piece. Additionally, fiber art is a more sustainable and eco-friendly option, as it often uses recycled or natural materials.

3. Can fiber art be displayed in the same way as traditional paintings?

Yes, fiber art can be displayed in a variety of ways, similar to traditional paintings. It can be hung on walls, displayed on stands or frames, or even sculpted into 3D forms. The possibilities for display are endless and can be tailored to fit the specific piece and space.

4. Is fiber art considered a form of fine art?

Yes, fiber art is recognized as a form of fine art. It has gained popularity in the art world and has been featured in galleries, museums, and art shows. Many fiber artists have also received recognition and awards for their work.

5. Can anyone create fiber art or is it a specialized skill?

Anyone can create fiber art, as it does not require specialized skills or training. However, like any art form, it does take practice and experimentation to develop techniques and create unique pieces. There are also classes and workshops available for those interested in learning more about fiber art and its techniques.