What is the formula for calculating drag on spherical objects in laminar flow?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the damping coefficient or drag of water, specifically the value of 'b' in the equation F=-b*v. The participants discuss different methods to determine this value, including using the Reynolds number and Stokes' formula for spherical objects in laminar flow.
jadex
Hi

I'm looking for a place were I can find the damping coefficient for water. Maybe someone has/can find/knows a good site/table/url?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I am interested in the same thing. I know the damping coefficient of blood is .7, so I would think that water is around .2 or .3. Does anybody know for sure?

The damping coefficient is not a constant for a particular fluid. Velocity is not the only variable to which drag force depends, but you can reduce the other factors to a constant by determining the Reynolds number (which itself is a function of viscosity, geometry of the object moving through the fluid, etc.) and a number of other factors. It can also be experimentally determined by actually moving the object through the fluid at different speeds and observing the relationship between speed and drag.

You're right, I should have done more research before asking. The problem is actually a bit more complex than I thought.

It can also be experimentally determined by actually moving the object through the fluid at different speeds and observing the relationship between speed and drag.
Not exactly the easiest thing in the world, since the object in question is a red blood cell. :P

Thanks a lot for answering.

For spherical objects and laminar flow the drag can be calculated from Stokes' formula:
drag=6*PI*n*R
where n is the viscosity of the fluid and R is the radius of the sphere.
It works for Reynolds numbers less than 1, I think.

What is the damping coefficient for water?

The damping coefficient for water is a measure of the amount of energy that is lost when water molecules are in motion. It is a dimensionless quantity that is related to the viscosity of water and the size and shape of the object moving through it.

How is the damping coefficient for water measured?

The damping coefficient for water can be measured through various experiments and calculations. One common method is by using a viscometer, which measures the resistance of water to flow through a tube of known dimensions. The resulting viscosity value can then be used to calculate the damping coefficient.

What factors affect the damping coefficient for water?

The damping coefficient for water can be affected by several factors. These include temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the water. Additionally, the shape and size of the object moving through the water can also impact the damping coefficient.

Why is the damping coefficient for water important?

The damping coefficient for water is important in many fields of science and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects moving through water, such as ships and submarines. It is also important in the study of ocean currents, turbulence, and other fluid dynamics phenomena.

Can the damping coefficient for water be changed?

Yes, the damping coefficient for water can be changed by altering the conditions under which the water is flowing. For example, increasing the temperature or pressure can change the viscosity of water, which in turn affects the damping coefficient. The shape and size of the object moving through the water can also be modified to impact the damping coefficient.