Please help on one mroe physics concept

In summary, the problem asks about a projectile being kicked with an initial velocity of 8.5 m/s at an angle of 35° with the horizontal. The ball has an initial vertical velocity of 4.9 m/s and a total flight time of 1 second. Using the formula for height, the maximum height reached is 1.2 m.
Musicman
A child kicks a ball with an initial velocity of 8.5 meters per second at an angle of 35° with the horizontal, as shown. The ball has an initial vertical velocity of 4.9 meters per second and a total time of flight of 1.0 second. [Neglect air resistance.]
what is the max height? what is the horizontal componenet of the ball's initial velocity?

A projectile is fired from a gun near the surface of Earth. The initial velocity of the projectile has a vertical component of 98 meters per second and a horizontal component of 49 meters per second. How long will it take the projectile to reach the highest point in its path?

please show formula and answer.

thanks, and these are my last questions bw.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to use the same equations as the last question you asked.

Remember:

V(t) = At + Vo
X(t) = (1/2)At^2 + Vot + Xo

Vo = Initial Velocity
Xo = Initial Position

These are good for any axis.

You should try going through the problem real quick and looking at how your past questions were solved.

ok for the first problem was ur max height 4.9 m.

and for problem two did u get 7 m/s as the horizontal component of the initial point? u don't have to tell me the answer if its wrong, jus tell me if its wrong because i think i put a negaive where i shouldn't have

I think something is wrong with your first answer. How are you setting up your formulas?

I got 7 m/s for the horizontal component though.

nvm i got 8.5 for the first one, but if it isn't that then it is 1.2 it depends which i was supposed to use for the firs component which I am still confused about

One of those answers is what I got. Show me how you're setting up your formulas.

my Voy=4.9, my V=8.5

so i did -5.73=-12.1+9.8t, 6.37=9.8t, =0.65 SO

then i used the 3rd equation so yea its 1.2m

I'm a little confused about how you're using the formulas but you came out with the right answer. I'll show you how I did it.

Our formula for height is going to be:

Y(t) = -5t^2 + 4.9t + 0

I rounded gravity (9.8) to 10 and 1/2 of that is 5. I usually deal with gravity as being a negative force so that's why the negative is out in front (A = -10 m/s^2), 4.9 just comes from our Vo (initial velocity).

Now we know total flight time is 1 second and we know that it takes the same amount of time to go up as it does to come down so the max height will occur at .5 seconds. Plug that in for t and you've got 1.2 m.

1. What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics involve understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These include principles such as Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the theory of relativity.

2. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the study of physical phenomena at a macroscopic scale, while modern physics deals with phenomena at a microscopic or subatomic level. Additionally, classical physics relies on classical mechanics, while modern physics relies on quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is an essential tool in physics, as it allows scientists to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. Many physical laws and theories are expressed mathematically, and the use of mathematical models helps to make accurate predictions and understand complex phenomena.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that all physicists work on theoretical concepts and conduct experiments, when in reality there are many different branches of physics and career paths. Another misconception is that physics is only applicable to "big" things, when in fact it also explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice and engage with the material regularly. This can involve solving problems, conducting experiments, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It is also helpful to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.