Hardwares help advices or direction please

• Thread starter WARGREYMONKKTL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, Vincent is a newcomer to the computer world and is seeking information about the hardware of a computer. He is looking for advice or ideas for his research and is wondering if there are any websites where he can buy old electronic items. A suggestion is made to use a textbook on computer architecture and to check out howstuffworks.com for articles on the topic. The book "The Art of Electronics" is also recommended, although it may be challenging for beginners. Other electronics books may also be helpful. A link to a website on computer processors is provided.
WARGREYMONKKTL
hi!
i am Vincent!
i am a new comer in the computer world, and now i want to have information about hardware of a computer to know how a computer work phisically. please help me some ideas or give me some advice about my research!
thanks for paying time to read my articles.
by the way,is there anyweb site on the internet that i can buy old electric stuffs?
thank you!
have a nice day!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd suggest a textbook on computer architecture, available from your local library or college bookstore.

You might also find some worthwhile articles on howstuffworks.com, like this one:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm

- Warren

Horowitz and Hill: The Art of Electronics
http://www.artofelectronics.com/
http://books.google.com/books?vid=I...c&dq=horowitZ+and+hill+the+art+of+electronics
covers basic electronic circuite, transistors, amplifiers, digital electronics (AND OR NOT etc. gates, and how to do math with them, some implementation assembly commands...), CMOS and TTL, microcomputers, microprocessors... and much more...

it is not an easy book though, it assumes no previous electronics knowledge, but the learning curve is very steep.

you might want to get take some other electronics books in addition to this one, sometimes its easier to understand these things when you read several slightly different explanations for the same thing.

Last edited:

1. How do I choose the right hardware for my specific needs?

Choosing the right hardware depends on factors such as your budget, the type of work you will be using it for, and your future needs. It is important to do thorough research and read reviews before making a decision. Consulting with a professional or seeking advice from online forums can also help with decision-making.

2. What are the most important components of a computer?

The most important components of a computer are the processor (CPU), memory (RAM), storage (hard drive or solid state drive), and graphics card (GPU). These components work together to make your computer run smoothly and efficiently.

3. How often should I upgrade my hardware?

The frequency of hardware upgrades depends on your usage and needs. Generally, it is recommended to upgrade every 3-5 years to keep up with advancements in technology. However, if you are a heavy user or need more powerful hardware for your work, you may need to upgrade more often.

4. How do I troubleshoot hardware issues?

First, try to identify the specific issue by running diagnostic tests or checking for error messages. If you are unable to troubleshoot the issue on your own, seek advice from a professional or contact the manufacturer for support. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and not attempt to fix hardware issues if you are not experienced.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when handling hardware?

Some common mistakes to avoid when handling hardware include not following proper safety precautions, not properly grounding yourself to avoid static electricity, and not disconnecting power sources before making changes. It is also important to be gentle and avoid forcing components into place, as this can cause damage.