Function f: I --> R Not Uniformly Continuous

• Thread starter kriz10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, a function is not uniformly continuous if it fails to maintain a consistent rate of change throughout its domain. This is a stronger statement than just being continuous. Uniform continuity is important in mathematics because it allows for more precise statements and proofs about functions. A function can be not uniformly continuous and still have a derivative, and some common examples of functions that are not uniformly continuous include the sine function, logarithm function, floor function, and the function f(x) = 1/x.
kriz10
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an example of a function f: I --> R where I is any open interval (a,b) that is continuous but not uniformly continuous? The only funcitons I can think of seem to be uniformly continuous for some interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of one that diverges at one of the endpoints.

What does it mean for a function to be uniformly continuous?

A function is uniformly continuous if, for any two points in its domain, the difference in their output values can be made arbitrarily small by choosing a small enough difference in their input values. In other words, the function does not exhibit any sudden, drastic changes or jumps.

What does it mean for a function to not be uniformly continuous?

If a function is not uniformly continuous, it means that there are points in its domain where the difference in output values cannot be made arbitrarily small by choosing a small enough difference in input values. This indicates that the function has sudden, drastic changes or jumps, making it difficult to predict its behavior.

How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger form of continuity than regular continuity. While a continuous function ensures that small changes in input result in small changes in output, a uniformly continuous function ensures that small changes in input result in arbitrarily small changes in output. Essentially, uniform continuity is a stricter requirement for smoothness of a function.

Can you provide an example of a function that is not uniformly continuous?

Yes, the function f(x) = 1/x is not uniformly continuous on the interval (0,1). This can be seen by considering the points x = 1/n and x = 1/n+1, where n is a natural number. As n approaches infinity, the difference in output values for these points (1/n - 1/n+1) approaches 1, but the difference in input values (1/n+1 - 1/n) approaches 0. This violates the definition of uniform continuity, as the difference in output values cannot be made arbitrarily small by choosing a small enough difference in input values.

Why is uniform continuity important in mathematics and science?

Uniform continuity is important because it guarantees that a function behaves in a smooth and predictable manner. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering, where precise and accurate predictions are necessary. Additionally, uniform continuity is a fundamental concept in the study of functions and their properties, making it an essential tool for understanding and analyzing various mathematical and scientific phenomena.