DVD-R/RW Not Working on Toshiba Laptop

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, The person is having trouble with their Toshiba laptop's DVD-R/RW drive not reading DVD+RW disks and is wondering if they need to install another program. They mention that the drive can read a DVD+R disk and play DVD movies without any issue. They are advised to check the properties of the drive and ensure that the DVD+RW disk is not damaged. It is also suggested to check if the disk works on another computer and if the drive is still able to read other types of DVDs. Finally, they are advised to check the specifications of the drive to see if it is capable of reading DVD+RW disks.
pivoxa15
I have a Toshiba laptop with a DVD-R/RW drive but when I put (2 different types of) DVD+RW disk into the drive, it dosen't read my disk and spends a lot of time 'thinking' by making sounds of reading but not doing anything. Why dosen't it read my disk? Do I need to install another program. Strangely it did read a DVD+R disk. It also reads and plays DVD movies without a problem.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Try right-clicking on the drive icon then clicking "Properties" - you might get some hint from that.

Is your DVD+RW disk ok, that is it has no scratches or dirt on it?
Does the DVD+RW disk work on your computer (not the laptop)?

Does your Toshiba DVD-drive still read normal DVDs and DVD-R's or
doesn't it play any DVDs now?

Did the drive ever read that disk properly? If you look at the specs for the drive it should tell you if it's capable of reading a DVD+RW disk.

1. Why is my DVD-R/RW not working on my Toshiba laptop?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty DVD-R/RW drive, outdated drivers, or software conflicts. It is also possible that the DVD-R/RW drive is not compatible with your Toshiba laptop.

2. How can I check if my DVD-R/RW drive is faulty?

The best way to check if your DVD-R/RW drive is faulty is to test it on another computer. If it works on another computer, then the issue is most likely with your Toshiba laptop. If it does not work on any computer, then the DVD-R/RW drive is most likely faulty and needs to be replaced.

3. How can I update the drivers for my DVD-R/RW drive on my Toshiba laptop?

You can update the drivers for your DVD-R/RW drive by going to the Device Manager. Right-click on the DVD-R/RW drive and select "Update Driver." You can also go to the Toshiba website and download the latest drivers for your specific laptop model.

4. What should I do if my DVD-R/RW drive is not compatible with my Toshiba laptop?

If your DVD-R/RW drive is not compatible with your Toshiba laptop, you can either replace the drive with a compatible one or use an external DVD-R/RW drive. Make sure to check the compatibility of the drive before purchasing it.

5. How can I resolve software conflicts that may be causing issues with my DVD-R/RW drive on my Toshiba laptop?

You can try uninstalling any recently installed software that may be causing conflicts with the DVD-R/RW drive. You can also try updating the software or reinstalling it. If the issue persists, you may need to seek help from a technician or contact Toshiba support for further assistance.