Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12

• Thread starter TriTertButoxy
  • Start date
Omega}(\text{e}_L\text{q}_i\rightarrow\text{e}_L\text{q}_i))}{\sum_{i}f_i(x,\mu_F)(\frac{d\sigma_i}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{q}_i\rightarrow\text{e}_R\text{q}_i)+\frac{d\sigma_i}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_L\text{q}_i\rightarrow\text{e}_L\text{q}_i))}\,,With some algebra, we can then use the cross section formula you have provided for the electron-qu
TriTertButoxy
Hi. We just finished the chapter on electroweak interactions. So it turns out that QED processes gets altered by the weak neutral current (exchange of Z boson) which introduces a tiny parity-violating asymmetry.

There is an experiment which measures the minute parity-violating asymmetry in the inelastic scattering of longitudinally polarized electrons off nuclear targets. The asymmetry is defined by

[tex]A=\frac{\sigma_R-\sigma_L}{\sigma_R+\sigma_L}\,,[/tex]​

where [itex]\sigma_R[/itex] is the cross section [itex]d\Omega/dy[/itex] for [itex]\text{e}_R\text{N}\rightarrow \text{e}_R\text{X}[/itex]; [itex]\text{e}_R[/itex] denotes a right-handed electron.

For the deep inelastic scattering process [itex]\text{eN}\rightarrow\text{eX}[/itex], we can use the parton model to predict the asymmetry.

I need help on the following problem.
Taking [itex]\text{N}[/itex] to be an isoscalar target, show

[tex]A=\frac{6}{5}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}Gk^2}{e^2}\right)\left(a_1+a_2\frac{1-(1-y)^2}{1+(1-y)^2}\right)\,,[/tex]​

with

[tex]a_1=c_A^e(2c_V^u-c_V^d)[/tex]
[tex]a_2=c_V^e(2c_A^u-c_A^d)\,.[/tex]​

Here, [itex]y=(E-E')/E[/itex] is the fractional energy loss of the electron in the lab frame. Constants [itex]c_V[/itex] and [itex]c_A[/itex] are the vector and axial coupling constants of the Z bosons.

I may assume [itex]k^2\ll M_Z^2[/itex] and the target contains equal numbers of up and down quarks since it is an isoscalar target (and neglect antiquarks).

Here's what I've done.
I know the idea is to consider is helicity case separately and combine the everything at the end. But, I'm a little shaky on the Parton model to do this. For example, the cross section of electron-quark scattering is

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{u}_L\rightarrow\text{e}_r\text{u}_L)=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}(1+\cos\theta)^2|Q_u+rc_R^ec_L^u|^2\,,[/tex]​

where [itex]r=-\sqrt{2} Gk^2/e^2[/itex].

If anybody can help me with this, that woud be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Electroweak interactions are indeed a fascinating topic in particle physics. It is interesting to note that the combination of QED and weak interactions can lead to parity-violating effects, as you have mentioned in your post.

To solve the problem at hand, we can start by considering the helicity cases separately. For the electron-quark scattering process, the cross section can be written as:

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{u}_L\rightarrow\text{e}_R\text{u}_L)=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}(1+\cos\theta)^2|Q_u+rc_R^ec_L^u|^2\,,

Where r=-\sqrt{2} Gk^2/e^2 is the constant you have defined. Here, s is the center of mass energy squared and \theta is the scattering angle. We can then use the parton model to predict the asymmetry A for this process. The parton model assumes that the cross section can be written as a sum over the contributions from the individual partons (quarks and gluons) inside the nucleon. This can be written as:

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{N}\rightarrow\text{e}_R\text{X})=\sum_{i}f_i(x,\mu_F)\frac{d\sigma_i}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{q}_i\rightarrow\text{e}_R\text{q}_i)\,,

Where f_i(x,\mu_F) is the parton distribution function that gives the probability of finding a parton of type i with momentum fraction x inside the nucleon. The factor \mu_F is the factorization scale and is usually taken to be of the order of the momentum transfer Q^2 in the process.

We can then use the definition of the asymmetry A given in the problem to write:

A=\frac{\sigma_R-\sigma_L}{\sigma_R+\sigma_L}=\frac{\sum_{i}f_i(x,\mu_F)(\frac{d\sigma_i}{d\Omega}(\text{e}_R\text{q}_i\rightarrow\text{e}_R\text{q}_i)-\frac

What is "Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12" about?

"Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12" is a physics problem from the book "Quarks and Leptons" by Francis Halzen and Alan Martin. It involves the calculation of the cross section for a specific interaction between two particles.

Why is "Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12" significant?

This problem is significant because it demonstrates the application of theoretical concepts in particle physics to real-world scenarios. It also allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the cross section, which is a measure of the probability of a particular interaction occurring.

What is the process for solving "Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12"?

The process for solving this problem involves using the given information and applying relevant equations and calculations. This may include using principles from quantum mechanics, special relativity, and nuclear and particle physics to arrive at a solution.

What skills or knowledge are required to solve "Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12"?

A strong understanding of concepts in particle physics, such as Feynman diagrams, and familiarity with mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation are necessary to solve this problem. Additionally, knowledge of special relativity and quantum mechanics is helpful.

Are there any real-world applications of the solution to "Halzen and Martin Problem 13.12"?

Yes, the solution to this problem can be applied to understand and predict interactions between particles in particle accelerators, as well as in the study of the fundamental properties of matter and energy. It also has implications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.