Find Total Magnetic Flux Through a Wire and Loop

In summary, the question is asking for the total magnetic flux through a square loop with resistance R that is a distance a from an infinitely long wire carrying a current I in the same plane. To find the flux, one must evaluate the integral of the magnetic field \vec{B} over the area enclosed by the loop. The same approach can be used for a square loop that is a distance a from an infinitely long wire carrying a current I in the xy plane. The direction of the magnetic field due to the wire and the direction of the area vector must be considered when evaluating the integral.
azone
a) There is an infinitely long wire carrying a current I. There is a square loop with resistance R a distance a from the wire in the same plane. Find the total magnetic flux through the loop.

b) There is an infinitely long wire carrying a current I in the z-direction. There is a square loop with resistance R a distance a from the wire in the xy plane. Find the total magnetic flux through the loop.

a) I know that the magnetic field from a straight wire is B=muo*I/2*pi*a. But isn't this just for a point a distance a away? What if it's a short line like the side of the loop? Does that mean I have to integrate? And also I know that there is no force on the two sides of the loop that is perpendicular to the wire, so does that mean that there is no magnetic field and hence no flux? So right now I guess I have a total magnetic field of B=mu*I/2*pi*a + mu*I/4*pi*a. And then I can find the flux from there.

b) I'm not sure at all how this wire affects the loop since they're not in the same plane. Does that mean there is no force on the loop at all? Or do I have to do some integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
azone said:
a) I know that the magnetic field from a straight wire is B=muo*I/2*pi*a. But isn't this just for a point a distance a away? What if it's a short line like the side of the loop? Does that mean I have to integrate?

Notice that the question is asking for the magnetic flux through the loop. You'll need to evaluate [tex]\int \vec{B} \cdot d \vec{A} [/tex] over the area enclosed by the loop.

And also I know that there is no force on the two sides of the loop that is perpendicular to the wire, so does that mean that there is no magnetic field and hence no flux?
No. How did you come to this conclusion?

b) I'm not sure at all how this wire affects the loop since they're not in the same plane. Does that mean there is no force on the loop at all? Or do I have to do some integration?

Do the same integration. What direction is the magnetic field due to the wire? What direction is the area vector? So, what can you say about [tex] \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}[/tex]?

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ (phi) and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) perpendicular to the field: Φ = B x A. If the magnetic field is not uniform, the flux can be calculated by integrating over the entire area.

3. What is the difference between total magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Total magnetic flux is a measure of the overall amount of magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. Flux density is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of teslas (T).

4. How do you find the total magnetic flux through a wire?

To find the total magnetic flux through a wire, you can use the formula Φ = B x A, where B is the magnetic field strength and A is the area perpendicular to the field. Alternatively, you can calculate the flux by integrating the magnetic field over the entire surface of the wire.

5. What factors affect the total magnetic flux through a loop?

The total magnetic flux through a loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, the angle between the field and the loop, and the material properties of the loop (such as its permeability). Additionally, any changes in these factors over time can also affect the flux through the loop.