Algebraic integers of a finite extension of Q has an integral basis

In summary: I don't think that has anything to do with Galois extensions.In summary, Allan Clark's "Elements of Abstract Algebra" exercise asks to prove that any finite extension of Q is a Z-module.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
I already know that this is true for galois extensions of Q... how do you extend this result to any finite extension of Q?

I was thinking given a finite extension of Q, call it K... find a galois extension that includes the finite extension, call it L... then somehow use the fact that the ring of algebraic integers of L has an integral basis to show that the integers of K must have an integral basis.

By integral basis, I mean that there is a finite set of elements in the ring w1,w2,w3...wn such that an element in the ring can be written in the form a1w1+a2w2+a3w3+...anwn

where a1,a2,a3,...an belong to Z.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
learningphysics said:
By integral basis, I mean that there is a finite set of elements in the ring w1,w2,w3...wn such that an element in the ring can be written in the form a1w1+a2w2+a3w3+...anwn

where a1,a2,a3,...an belong to Z.
Written uniquely, you mean.

Hurkyl said:
Written uniquely, you mean.

yes, you're right. it must be unique.

this is not my forte, but doesn't finitely generated as an algebra plus integral imply finite as a module?

and a finite module over Z, is a direct sum of free ones and finite cyclic ones, but your module is torsion free hen ce free.

i do not see what galois has to do with it, unkless i am missing some hypotheses here.

i.e. take a finite field extension of Q, then take the elements which are integral over Z, i guess you need to know that is a finitely generated Z algebra to use my argument. is that the missing step?

dummitt and foote page 697 use your idea of embedding in a galois extension and taking traces to prove finite generation.

Last edited:
Hi mathwonk. This is an exercise from "Elements of Abstract Algebra" by Allan Clark. Almost at the end of it. :)

He gives a proof that a Galois extension of Q has a finite basis where the coefficients can be taken over Z... so this is what a Z-module is correct? Module is analogous to a vector space, but taking coefficients from a ring?

Then as an exercise he asks to prove that any finite extension of Q is a Z-module (he doesn't use the term module though). That's the reason I'm trying to take this approach.

He hasn't introduced modules in the text. He's about to introduce trace and norm in the next part...

1. What are algebraic integers?

Algebraic integers are numbers that can be expressed as solutions to polynomial equations with integer coefficients.

2. What is a finite extension of Q?

A finite extension of Q is a field that is obtained by adjoining a finite number of algebraic numbers to the field of rational numbers (Q).

3. What is an integral basis?

An integral basis is a set of algebraic integers that generate the ring of integers of a finite extension of Q.

4. How do you determine if a set of algebraic integers is an integral basis?

A set of algebraic integers is an integral basis if it satisfies two conditions: 1) it generates the ring of integers, and 2) it is linearly independent over Q.

5. Why is it important for a finite extension of Q to have an integral basis?

An integral basis allows us to express any algebraic integer in terms of a finite number of elements, making calculations and proofs easier. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of the finite extension of Q.