How do you prove a^{x}=e^{xlna}?

• Thread starter Lipi
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses proving the equivalence of a^{x} and e^{xlna}, with the help of logarithms. The conversation also touches upon the definition of logarithms and their properties, such as eln a= a and ln(ea)= a. The conversation ends with a reminder to understand the properties of logarithms before studying Euler's number.
Lipi
It's not a homework, I just want to understand the e. Just don't know enough yet to grasp it.
Can someone help me prove that this is eaqual:

a[tex]^{x}=e^{xlna}[/tex]

for example

10[tex]^{x}=e^{xln10}[/tex]

How do you come from 10[tex]^{x}[/tex] to [tex] e^{xln10}[/tex]

Thanx.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take logarithms of both sides of the equation, and see what you get.

You get zero on both sides, that's all fine. I allready know it's the same.

But if you have a function y=a[tex]^{x}[/tex],

how do you get to y=e[tex]^{xlna}[/tex] being the same thing?

Lipi said:
You get zero on both sides...
I don't know what you mean. How come, zero? What is the logarithm of a^x ? And of e^(x ln a) ?

Oh i just got it.:shy:

Just found the rule e[tex]^{lna}=a[/tex].

Thanx for the kick in the right direction, i appreciate it:smile:

Do you understand WHY eln a= a? Quite simply because "ln x" is DEFINED as the inverse function to ex! That should have been one of the first things you learned about logarithms.

(And, just to shortcut possible objections, yes, it is quite possible to define [itex]ln(x)= \int_1^x 1/t dt[/itex] and then define y= ex to be the inverse of THAT function. But still, because they are inverse function eln a= a and ln(ea)= a.

HallsofIvy said:
(And, just to shortcut possible objections, yes, it is quite possible to define [itex]ln(x)= \int_1^x 1/t dt[/itex] and then define y= ex to be the inverse of THAT function. But still, because they are inverse function eln a= a and ln(ea)= a.

Well, to go even further, the only reason to call it a logarithm is because the integral behaves exactly like one, thus the properties of logarithms in general should have been studied before anything about Euler's number. :D

1. How do you prove a scientific hypothesis?

To prove a scientific hypothesis, one must conduct experiments and collect data that supports the hypothesis. The data must be analyzed and evaluated to determine if it supports or rejects the hypothesis.

2. What is the process of conducting a scientific experiment?

The process of conducting a scientific experiment involves identifying a problem or question, creating a hypothesis, designing and conducting an experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. How do you ensure the validity and reliability of scientific data?

To ensure the validity and reliability of scientific data, it is important to use proper experimental design and methodology, control variables, and repeat the experiment multiple times. Peer review and replication of the experiment by other scientists also help to validate the data.

4. What is the role of statistics in proving scientific theories?

Statistics play a crucial role in proving scientific theories by analyzing and interpreting data to determine the significance and reliability of the results. Statistical tests can help to determine if the results support or reject the hypothesis.

5. How do you communicate and share your scientific findings?

Scientific findings are typically communicated and shared through scientific publications, conferences, and presentations. It is important to provide clear and accurate information, supported by data, to the scientific community for further review and validation.