Does Object Positioning on a Scale Affect Its Measured Weight?

• Thread starter stgma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the positioning of an object on a scale should not influence the measured weight, as the scale should be accurate and the object's center of gravity should be in the center. However, with cheap scales, it may make a difference due to bending. Additionally, an overhang on the scale may also affect the weight measurement. A possible solution is to rest one's stomach on a washbasin, as seen on the show The Simpsons.
stgma
Code:
      a                         b  

___
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |             _____________________
    |   |            |                     |
    |___|            |_____________________|
=============             =============   
  ^       ^                 ^       ^

Hello

We've got an object on a scale and we are measuring it's weight. Does the positioning of this object on the scale influence the measured weight?
Notice how the sides of the object overflow the scale in diagram . Will the scale show a different (smaller) weight?

The scale and the object is the same in both diagrams. And the scale is perfect in terms of accuracy and function.

Thanks

Attachments

• scales.png
    scales.png
    400 bytes · Views: 387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In theory it shouldn't matter and doesn't with good scales.
With cheap bathroom type scales it might make a difference because they bend easily, they also read wrongly if placed on carpet or an uneven surface for the same reason.

The COG is in the center of the scale, so you should never see any difference. However, this time of year, when I overhang the scale, I notice my weight seems to be up not down.

TVP45 said:
However, this time of year, when I overhang the scale, I notice my weight seems to be up not down.
A trick I learned from the Simpsons is to rest your stomach on the washbasin

1. What is object positioning on a scale?

Object positioning on a scale refers to the act of placing an object on a scale to determine its weight or mass. This is commonly used in scientific experiments and everyday tasks such as weighing food or packages.

2. How does object positioning affect the accuracy of weight measurements?

The position of an object on a scale can greatly affect the accuracy of weight measurements. Placing the object off-center or unevenly distributed can result in an inaccurate reading. It is important to ensure the object is centered and evenly distributed on the scale for the most accurate measurement.

3. What are the different types of scales used for object positioning?

There are several types of scales used for object positioning, including balance scales, spring scales, and digital scales. Balance scales use a system of weights to determine the weight of an object, while spring scales use the force of a spring to measure weight. Digital scales use sensors to measure the weight and provide a numerical reading.

4. How can environmental factors affect object positioning on a scale?

Environmental factors such as air currents, vibrations, and uneven surfaces can affect object positioning on a scale. These factors can cause the object to move or the scale to become unbalanced, resulting in an inaccurate measurement. It is important to place the scale on a stable and level surface and minimize any external disturbances during the weighing process.

5. What are some best practices for accurate object positioning on a scale?

To ensure accurate object positioning on a scale, it is important to first calibrate the scale according to manufacturer instructions. Then, place the object on the center of the scale and ensure it is evenly distributed. Avoid touching the scale or object during the weighing process and record the measurement promptly. Additionally, it is recommended to use a scale with a higher precision than the desired measurement to increase accuracy.