What is the best approach for an offshore oil worker to study physics?

• Thread starter Screamtruth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation involves an offshore oil worker seeking literature and advice on how to approach studying Relativity, Quantum, and Theoretical Physics. They mention their basic understanding of the concepts and their background in classical physics and math. They also ask for suggestions and receive a question about their starting point and math knowledge.
Screamtruth
Hey All,

I am an offshore oil worker and have a lot of time to devote to my studies of Physics.

I am interested in the pursuit of a general understanding of Relativity, Quantum, and Thoeretical Physics. Although I have a basic understanding of the concepts, I would like to ask the populus here what is the best avenue of approach in conquering this? I am looking for literature that will help aid me in this, but not the type of resources extending beyond my capablities.

Any suggestions?

thx,
Nathan

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?

This doesn't answer your question, but I like this song and you might too.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?

I am good on the clasical side, and I have Geo, Trig, and Algebra...as math history. I am an Instrumentation and Control Tech, so I use a lot of math on the calculations for different circuit types. I have no college level calc or physics though...The calculus is the kicker I am sure, but I have some resources and and understanding of the basic principles, but will require further study to keep up.

1. What is the job description of an offshore oil worker?

An offshore oil worker is responsible for the extraction of oil and gas from offshore drilling platforms. This includes operating and maintaining equipment, performing safety checks, and overseeing the drilling process.

2. What education and training is required to become an offshore oil worker?

Most offshore oil workers have a high school diploma or equivalent, and then receive on-the-job training. Some workers may also complete a specialized training program in fields such as engineering or marine technology.

3. What are the working conditions like for offshore oil workers?

The working conditions for offshore oil workers can be challenging due to the remote and isolated location of the drilling platforms. Workers may be required to work long shifts and be away from home for extended periods of time. They also need to be physically fit and able to work in all weather conditions.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of offshore oil drilling?

Offshore oil drilling can have a variety of environmental impacts, including potential oil spills, noise pollution, and disruption of marine habitats. However, strict regulations and safety protocols are in place to minimize these impacts and protect the environment.

5. How does the salary and job outlook for offshore oil workers compare to other professions?

The salary for offshore oil workers can vary depending on experience and job position, but it is generally higher than many other professions due to the demanding nature of the job. The job outlook for offshore oil workers is expected to remain steady in the coming years, with new technologies and advancements in drilling techniques creating new job opportunities.