Product of Diagonal Entries and Eigenvalues in nxn Matrix Proofs?

In summary, the product of the diagonal entries of an nxn matrix A equals the product of the eigenvalues of A, but only for certain types of matrices. This can be proven using the characteristic polynomial and the determinant of A.
ltrane2003

Homework Statement

Prove that the product of the diagonal entries of an nxn matrix A equals the product of the eigenvalues of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show at least some attempt first before anyone will help.

Since you haven't tried the problem I won't provide much help, but I will say a couple of vague hints

(a) this is a standard textbook result, see if it's in your book first
(b) examine the coefficients of the characteristic polynomial carefully

The problem with you not showing any work is that we have no idea what kind of facts you have to work with. I can think of several different ways of proving that, depending upon how "sophiticated" you want to be.

The very quickest would involve using the "Jordan Normal Form"- do you know what that is?

But it's not even true!? Take A=[[0,1],[1,0]]. Product of the eigenvalues is -1. Product of the diagonal entries is 0. Am I missing something?

ltrane2003 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the product of the diagonal entries of an nxn matrix A equals the product of the eigenvalues of A.

That is not true for all matrices...only in certain types of matrices is that true.

The product of the eigenvalues is the determinant, right. The statement would be true for a diagonal matrix for sure :)

Yes, it is true (and is trivial) for every diagonal matrix. But that is a very small subset of all matrices.

Dick said:
But it's not even true!? Take A=[[0,1],[1,0]]. Product of the eigenvalues is -1. Product of the diagonal entries is 0. Am I missing something?

Both the eigenvalues are zero.

For a diagonal matrix the determinant is just the product of the diagonals.

The eiganvalues are |xI-A|...

Vid said:
Both the eigenvalues are zero.

For a diagonal matrix the determinant is just the product of the diagonals.

The eiganvalues are |xI-A|...

A*[1,1]=[1,1]. That doesn't look like a zero eigenvector to me.

Yea, my statement about your matrix was wrong.

Diagonal matrices have 0 everywhere but the diagonal. Your matrix is symmetric.

AstroRoyale said:
The product of the eigenvalues is the determinant, right. The statement would be true for a diagonal matrix for sure :)

Yeah I totally screwed up, the OP never returned but I'll just say what I was thinking-- the constant term in the characteristic polynomial is known to be the determinant of the matrix, call it A, but also if you factor the polynomial knowing that it's roots are the eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] then the constant term is also

[tex](-1)^N\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i[/tex]

and there you have it--

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i = (-1)^N\det A[/tex]

where A is an N by N matrix.

DavidWhitbeck said:
Yeah I totally screwed up, the OP never returned but I'll just say what I was thinking-- the constant term in the characteristic polynomial is known to be the determinant of the matrix, call it A, but also if you factor the polynomial knowing that it's roots are the eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] then the constant term is also

[tex](-1)^N\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i[/tex]

and there you have it--

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i = (-1)^N\det A[/tex]

where A is an N by N matrix.

Now you have to explain away that (-1)^N. It shouldn't be there. If I is the NxN identity. det(I)=1 and the product of the eigenvalues is certainly 1.

Ah yeah the constant term in the characteristic polynomial is not [tex]\det A[/tex] it's [tex](-1)^N\det A[/tex] and then we have instead

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i = \det A[/tex]

1. What is Linear Algebra Proof?

Linear Algebra Proof is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical concepts to prove properties or theorems related to linear algebra.

2. Why is Linear Algebra Proof important?

Linear Algebra Proof is important because it forms the foundation for many other fields of mathematics and has numerous applications in science, engineering, and computer science. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How do you approach a Linear Algebra Proof?

When approaching a Linear Algebra Proof, it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem, identify relevant definitions and theorems, and use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to prove the desired result.

4. What are some common techniques used in Linear Algebra Proof?

Some common techniques used in Linear Algebra Proof include direct proofs, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Other techniques may involve using properties of vector spaces, linear transformations, and matrices.

5. How can I improve my skills in Linear Algebra Proof?

To improve your skills in Linear Algebra Proof, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems, understand the fundamental concepts and theorems, and seek help or guidance from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed.