Total Derivative in Curvilinear Coordinates: A Guide

In summary: In this case, you would use the gradient: \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{j}}.
Päällikkö
Homework Helper
I'm trying to study some basic tensor analysis on my own for practical purposes, but I'm having some problems. More specifically I'm rather puzzled over the concept of total derivative in curvilinear coordinates (well, to be exact, as I've got little experience with differential geometry, it's all a bit hazy).

I have a function f, which depends on the position vector r, which in turn is a function of time t i.e. f = f(r(t)). Now what I'd want to do is to take the time derivative of f: df/dt. Normally I'd write it as [tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i(t)}{dt}[/tex]. I however have doubts in my mind whether this is the right way to go about when I'm dealing with curvilinear coordinates. Should I replace the partial derivative with the gradient (covariant derivative)?

I hope my question is making any sense. Please direct me to a good book on tensors if it is not (I'd prefer mathematical ones, but I'm in a hurry to apply the mathematics, so one for engineers/physicists would be well appreciated).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello :)

first I guess this is Analysis and not Tensor analysis. ;)

Do you mean the toal derivative or the total differential? (I aks because my bad English could mistake the terms)

Well, if you have a total derivative you have the normal latin [tex]d[/tex] instead of the partial [tex]\partial[/tex] or if you only have a infenitesimal displacement you use the greek [tex]\delta[/tex] like in the principles of virtual displacement.

Now the total derivative is the derivative in every dimension! To signalize what you are doing you schould use the latin "d", but it don't would be mathematical wrong if you use the partial d but you have to operate the parial derviative in every dimension. Don't use the greek d for derivative, because this would be wrong. Our mathematical shortcuts here stands for a differentialquotient which are building a limes. The greek delta don't implicit this limes.

If you have another coordinate system the theorie don't change! But depending on what your coordinates are is the derivative not a priori trivial but it don't changes the upper sense. In general you have to use quotient, product and chainrule for the derivative.

I hint from me. If I have a cordinate system I try to build a transfer matrix in a more acceptable system. If you find the base vectors of your coordinate systems is the rest quite easy.

I hope that helps you :)

greetings

I'm quite sure I'm dealing with differential geometry here. Rather than a function in general, I should've stated that f is a scalar field.

Indeed I should've written the equation like (with the upper indices, I believe):
[tex]\frac{\operatorname{d}f}{\operatorname{d}t} = \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial r^i}\frac{\operatorname{d}r^i}{\operatorname{d}t} [/tex]

My question was if I should write the equation as above or more like the following:
[tex]\frac{\operatorname{d}f}{\operatorname{d}t} = \sum_i \nabla_i f \frac{\operatorname{d}r^i}{\operatorname{d}t} [/tex]

(assuming I got the notation right this time).

Päällikkö said:
I'm quite sure I'm dealing with differential geometry here. Rather than a function in general, I should've stated that f is a scalar field.

Indeed I should've written the equation like (with the upper indices, I believe):
[tex]\frac{\operatorname{d}f}{\operatorname{d}t} = \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial r^i}\frac{\operatorname{d}r^i}{\operatorname{d}t} [/tex]

My question was if I should write the equation as above or more like the following:
[tex]\frac{\operatorname{d}f}{\operatorname{d}t} = \sum_i \nabla_i f \frac{\operatorname{d}r^i}{\operatorname{d}t} [/tex]

It might make more sense to write that last equation as a "dot" product:
[tex]dr= \nabla f \cdot \vec{r}[/tex]
-

HallsofIvy said:
It might make more sense to write that last equation as a "dot" product:
[tex]dr= \nabla f \cdot \vec{r}[/tex]
-
Sure, but notation isn't the problem I need help with. Rather I wish to know whether to use partial differentation in the "usual" sense or the covariant derivative. I'm sorry if I wasn't making this clear enough.

Päällikkö said:
Sure, but notation isn't the problem I need help with. Rather I wish to know whether to use partial differentation in the "usual" sense or the covariant derivative. I'm sorry if I wasn't making this clear enough.

No, you were pretty clear. and the answer is: "partial differentiation as you have described it, is the way to go. Don't worry about the covariant derivative."

The covariant derivative is needed when one is trying to differentiate a vector field with respect to a particular direction. In this case, though, you simply have a function defined along a curve in n-space and are interested in the value of this function as time passes (i.e., as one moves along the curve with respect to the variable t according to the parametrization t---> r(t)).

Päällikkö said:

oh, okay, in this case I missunderstood you. Sorry.

Well, as you write it I wouldn't mean that it is wrong. I always use the upper form, but beacuase of the indice i it should be the same.

greetings

1. What is the total derivative in curvilinear coordinates?

The total derivative in curvilinear coordinates is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to a change in a given coordinate system. It takes into account both the changes in the function itself and the changes in the coordinates.

2. Why is the total derivative important in curvilinear coordinates?

The total derivative is important because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of a function in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, which are commonly used in many scientific fields. It also enables us to calculate derivatives and solve differential equations in these coordinate systems.

3. How is the total derivative calculated in curvilinear coordinates?

The total derivative is calculated using a specific formula that takes into account the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each coordinate, as well as the coefficients of the coordinate transformation. This formula is derived from the chain rule and is different for each coordinate system.

4. How does the total derivative differ from the partial derivative?

The partial derivative only considers the changes in a function with respect to one specific variable while holding all other variables constant. On the other hand, the total derivative takes into account the changes in both the function and the coordinates, making it a more comprehensive measure of change.

5. What are some real-world applications of the total derivative in curvilinear coordinates?

The total derivative is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology to describe the motion of objects in non-Cartesian coordinate systems. It is also used in fluid mechanics to analyze the flow of fluids in curved channels and in geology to model changes in terrain elevation in mountainous regions.