Integrating a 2-form on a 2-cube

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integrating 1-forms and 2-forms over 1-cubes and 2-cubes, respectively. It is shown that the integral of a 1-form over a 1-cube is equivalent to a line integral, and the integral of a 2-form over a 2-cube is equivalent to a surface integral. The conversation also touches on the topic of calculus on manifolds and provides a recommendation for a companion book.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I read, again in Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, that the integral of 1-form over a 1-cube is equivalent to a line integral. And indeed, if I consider the 1-form w = Pdx + Qdy on R², and c a given 1-cube in R², I find that

[tex]\int_c\omega = \int_0^1 F(c(t))\cdot c'(t)dt[/tex]

where F=(P,Q), which is the integral of the vector field F along the curve c.

Next, I read that the integral of a 2-form over a 2-cube is equivalent to a surface integral. Let [itex]\omega = Pdx\wedge dy + Qdx\wedge dz + Rdy\wedge dz[/itex] be a 2-form onR³ and c be a 2-cube in R³. I am guessing that [itex]\int_c\omega[/itex] corresponds to the flux integral of the vector field F = (P,Q,R) through c([0,1]²). Recall that this integral is given by

[tex]\iint_{[0,1]^2}F(c(s,t))\cdot \left(\frac{\partial c}{\partial s}\times \frac{\partial c}{\partial t}\right) dsdt=\iint_{[0,1]^2}P(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^2}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^2}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| - Q(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| + R(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^2}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^2}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| \ dsdt[/tex]

Alright, so I get something close to this, but not quite, so I'm wondering where I'm mistaken... I say,

[tex]\int_c\omega = \int_{[0,1]^2}(P\ \circ \ c) c^*(dx\wedge dy)+(Q\ \circ \ c) c^*(dx\wedge dz)+(R\ \circ \ c) c^*(dy\wedge dz)[/tex]

Now, [itex]c^*(dx^i\wedge dx^j))[/itex] is a 2-form on [0,1]² so it is of the form [itex]f_{ij} \ ds\wedge dt[/itex] for some 0-form f_ij on [0,1]². In order to find f_ij, let p belong to [0,1]² and [itex]v_{p}, \ w_{p} \in \mathbb{R}^2_{p}[/itex].

Using the definitions, I find that

[tex]c^*(dx^i\wedge dx^j)(v_p,w_p)=dx^i\wedge dx^j(c_*(v_p),c_*(w_p))=dx^i\otimes dx^j(c_*(v_p),c_*(w_p))-dx^i\otimes dx^j(c_*(w_p),c_*(v_p))[/tex]

where [itex]c_*(v_p)=(Dc(p)(v))_{c(p)}[/itex], and therefor

[tex]dx^i(c_*(v_p))=\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s}(p)v^1+\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t}(p)v^2=\left(\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s}(p)ds+\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t}(p)dt\right)(v_p)[/tex]

So I conclude that

[tex]c^*(dx^i\wedge dx^j)(v_p,w_p)=\left(\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s}(p)dx+\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t}(p)dt\right)\wedge \left(\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial s}(p)dx+\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial t}(p)dt\right)=\left(\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s}(p)\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial t}(p)-\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t}(p)\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial s}(p)\right) ds\wedge dt(v_p,w_p)[/tex]

and hence

[tex]f_{ij}=\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s}\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial t}-\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t}\frac{\partial c^j}{\partial s}=\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^j}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^i}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^j}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right|[/tex]

Finally,

[tex]\int_c\omega = \iint_{[0,1]^2}P(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^2}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^2}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| + Q(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^1}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| + R(c(s,t))\left| \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial c^2}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial s} \\
\frac{\partial c^2}{\partial t} & \frac{\partial c^3}{\partial t}
\end{array} \right| \ dsdt[/tex]

So, 3 things differ: the factors of P and R and the sign of Q.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
Next, I read that the integral of a 2-form over a 2-cube is equivalent to a surface integral. Let [itex]\omega = Pdx\wedge dy + Qdx\wedge dz + Rdy\wedge dz[/itex] be a 2-form onR³ and c be a 2-cube in R³. I am guessing that [itex]\int_c\omega[/itex] corresponds to the flux integral of the vector field F = (P,Q,R) through c([0,1]²). ...

So, 3 things differ: the factors of P and R and the sign of Q.

Thanks!

I'm not seeing any problem here. Modulo any sign errors that I didn't pick up, what you've shown is that the integral of a 2-form on a 2-chain in 3-space [itex]\int_c\omega[/itex] is the flux integral of the vector field F=(R,-Q,P), where P, Q and R are the coordinate components of the 2-form.

Integrating forms on chains is a generalization of curve and surface integration, but it's not necessarily a direct correspondence. Some adjustment of the various components usually has to be performed.

Incidentally, calculus on manifolds is not Spivak's invention. His goal with this book was to provide a short, problem-based introduction to the subject. A great companion book to his is Loomis and Sternberg's Advanced Calculus, which you can get for free here: http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/.

Ok, sweet! And thanks for the book link.

1. What is a 2-form?

A 2-form is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that is used to describe the behavior of vector fields on a surface or in a higher dimensional space. It is a multilinear function that takes in two vector inputs and outputs a scalar value, representing the amount of "flow" or "flux" of the vector field through a region of the surface.

2. What is a 2-cube?

A 2-cube, also known as a square, is a two-dimensional shape with four equal sides and four right angles. It is often used in mathematics and geometry as a simple example of a 2-dimensional object. In the context of integrating a 2-form, a 2-cube is used as the region of integration for the 2-form.

3. What does it mean to integrate a 2-form?

Integrating a 2-form means finding the total "flow" or "flux" of a vector field through a given region of a surface or higher dimensional space. It involves breaking the region into smaller pieces, evaluating the 2-form at each piece, and summing up the results to get the total value.

4. Why is integrating a 2-form important?

Integrating a 2-form is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as differential geometry, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as surface area, volume, and flux of vector fields, which have many practical applications.

5. What are some techniques for integrating a 2-form on a 2-cube?

Some techniques for integrating a 2-form on a 2-cube include using double integrals, the divergence theorem, and Stokes' theorem. These techniques involve breaking the 2-cube into smaller pieces, evaluating the 2-form at each piece, and summing or integrating the results to get the total value. Other techniques, such as Green's theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, can also be applied in specific cases.