How to graph 5 or more variables at once?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of plotting 5 or more variables on a single graph. While it is possible to represent multiple variables using techniques such as using hue and saturation or a ternary graph, it becomes more challenging with each additional variable. The conversation also mentions a famous statistical graph by Charles Minard that effectively displays 5 variables on one map. However, the limitation of the number of dimensions in our universe may make it impossible to graph all possible values for 5 variables at once.
Munfred
Hi there

For quite some time now, I've been wondering if/how it would be possible to plot 5 or more variables on a single graph. If we have 2 variables we can make a simple 2D graph, if we have 3 variables we can make a 3D graph and if we have 4 variables we can make a 3D graph that changes in time (a video). Now, what if we want to plot 5 variables? As I understand it, each variable requires a whole dimension, and since we only have 4 dimensions at our disposal (3 spatial and one temporal) it looks to me that we can't have 5 variables plotted at once, due to the limitation of the number of dimensions of the universe we live, unless we made infinite animated graphs, each one to illustrate one value of our 5th variable.

So, how do we solve this problem? Or will we have to accept that we can't possibly plot all possible values for 5 variables at once?

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about using the Hue and Saturation of the graph to represent another variable or two? (For example, see any plot of the CMB fluctuations)

Well, yeah, like in a ternary graph we can in fact represent 3 variables in a 2D space, but that's because they have to sum up to 100%

Suppose a equation with 5 variables, how could we possibly graph it, showing all values that al variables can assume?

Sometimes called "the best statistical graph ever drawn", Charles Minard's graph shows the position, and direction of Napolean's army advancing on and retreating from Moscow in 1812 as a function of time and gives the air temperature at each time. Counting position as two variables, that is a total of 5 variables on one map.

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/posters

1. How can I graph 5 or more variables at once?

To graph 5 or more variables at once, you can use a scatter plot or a line plot. These types of plots allow you to visualize multiple variables on the same graph.

2. What is the best way to represent 5 or more variables on a graph?

The best way to represent 5 or more variables on a graph is to use a combination of different colors, symbols, and labels. This will help differentiate between the variables and make the graph easier to interpret.

3. Can I use a bar graph to represent 5 or more variables at once?

Yes, you can use a stacked bar graph to represent 5 or more variables at once. Each bar will be divided into sections, with each section representing a different variable.

4. Are there any limitations to graphing 5 or more variables at once?

One limitation of graphing 5 or more variables at once is that the graph may become cluttered and difficult to read. It is important to choose a suitable graph type and use appropriate labeling and colors to avoid confusion.

5. How can I interpret the data on a graph with 5 or more variables?

To interpret the data on a graph with 5 or more variables, you can look for patterns and trends among the variables. You can also use statistical analysis to determine the relationships between the variables and make conclusions about the data.