Choosing Between Electrical and Mechanical Engineering: A Guide

In summary, the individual is struggling to decide between studying Electrical or Mechanical engineering. They are looking for guidance on the classes and hands-on experience for both degrees, and are hoping to hear from engineers about their experiences in school and their careers. They are seeking a fulfilling and hands-on career in which they can make a tangible impact.
Brilliant!
Electrical? Mechanical?

I've chosen engineering because I want to have tangible evidence of my accomplishments. I would love a hands-on career in which I am creating, testing, analyzing; a career in which I am advancing a technology, making more efficient, economical, and/or powerful.

But that's all of engineering. Whether it be developing a motor, building a bridge, working with green fuel sources, or working on the processor for the worlds best supercomputer, it all sounds so exciting, so fun, and so fulfilling.

I'm sure some of you have been my position: unable to decide on which type of engineering you'd like to do for the rest of your life. I've heard of degree plans that involve at least a couple of semesters of general engineering courses, after which you choose your focus. Unfortunately, my school doesn't work like this. From day 1 of semester 1, you are taking major-focused courses. The freshman year of the EE degree plan has you taking a total of 4 EE courses alongside the Calcs, Physics and core courses.

So, you see why I'm in a pinch.

Right now, I'm trying to choose between Electrical or Mechanical. I'm not thinking at all in terms of difficulty. I'm comfortable with math and physics, so neither of the majors scare me in that regard. I'm not afraid of having to work my butt off, either. I've always been a hard-worker, and consider that to be one of my greatest characteristics.

Am I long winded or what?

I guess the point of this post is that I'm looking for some guidance. What are the classes like for both degrees? And are they fun? I guess I imagine having a chance to actually work with my hands instead of pencil-pushing all of the time. How much hands-on experience is there for both of these degrees? Will either one of the degrees have me staring at a computer screen 10 hours a day 5 days a week? Or are there some great careers where I really get to get in there with my wrench or my soldering iron and go to town on a project?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
And if I can add something:

Can some you engineers tell me what you enjoyed most about school, what careers you went on to, and what you love most about your job?

I would suggest that the best way to decide between Electrical and Mechanical Engineering is to consider your interests and strengths. Both fields offer exciting and fulfilling career opportunities, but they require different skill sets and offer different types of work.

Electrical Engineering involves designing, developing, and testing electrical systems and devices, such as circuits, computers, and power systems. This field requires a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, as well as problem-solving and analytical skills. If you enjoy working with complex systems and using your creativity to design new technologies, then Electrical Engineering may be the right choice for you.

On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering focuses on designing, building, and testing mechanical devices and systems, such as engines, machines, and structures. This field also requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as hands-on skills such as drafting, prototyping, and using tools and machines. If you enjoy working with your hands and seeing your designs come to life, then Mechanical Engineering may be a better fit for you.

It's also important to consider the types of courses and projects you will be working on in each major. Electrical Engineering courses may involve more theoretical and mathematical concepts, while Mechanical Engineering courses may involve more hands-on projects and laboratory work. It's important to research the curriculum and course offerings of both majors to get a better understanding of what each one entails.

In terms of career opportunities, both fields offer a wide range of options, from working in research and development to manufacturing and consulting. Both Electrical and Mechanical Engineers can also work in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and telecommunications. It's important to explore different career paths and talk to professionals in each field to get a better sense of the day-to-day work and potential career opportunities.

In conclusion, choosing between Electrical and Mechanical Engineering ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Both fields offer exciting and challenging opportunities, and it's important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision. Good luck in your decision-making process!

1. What are the main differences between electrical and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both electrical and mechanical engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities, and the demand for both fields is expected to grow in the coming years. The choice ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths.

3. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and the difficulty level can vary depending on the individual. However, electrical engineering may involve more complex mathematical concepts, while mechanical engineering may require more hands-on work.

4. Can I switch between electrical and mechanical engineering later in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two fields later in your career, as both fields have some overlapping concepts and skills. However, it may require additional education or training depending on your current qualifications and experience.

5. Which field has a higher salary potential?

Both electrical and mechanical engineers have high earning potential, and it can vary depending on factors such as job role, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers was $101,250 in May 2020, while for mechanical engineers, it was $90,160.