Precise Definition of a limit

In summary, to find an x value that will make 5x+3 within a distance of 0.075 from 13, we need to solve the inequality 12.25 ≤ 5x+3 ≤ 13.75 for x. This results in x=1.85 or 2.15. To determine how close this is to 2, we can subtract 2 from each value to get a difference of 0.15. For further clarification and helpful examples, you can refer to the website provided.
step1536

How close to 2 do we have to take x so that 5x+3 is within a distance of 0.075 from 13.
I am confuse on how to evaluate this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should state your question more clearly.

A distance of 0.075 from 13 can be 13 + 0.075 or 13 - 0.075. Can you find an x such that 5x+3 evaluates to one of those two points?

5x+3 will be within distance 0.075 from 13 (above or below) as long as 5x+ 3 is between 13- 0.75 and 13+ 0.75 or [itex]12.25\le 5x+ 3\le 13.75[/itex]. Solve that inequality for x. How close is that to 2?

I understand that part but how do you work the problem out?

so x=1.85,2.15; then I would then subtract 2-1.85 and 2-2.15. my answer would be .15

Hey step: check out this web site. i thought it was helpful (the "flash" examples in particular)

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/1/definition.6/index.html

1. What is the precise definition of a limit?

The precise definition of a limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is defined as the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value.

2. How is the precise definition of a limit different from the intuitive understanding of a limit?

The intuitive understanding of a limit is based on the idea that a function approaches a certain value as its input gets closer and closer to a specified value. However, the precise definition of a limit involves the use of mathematical notation and rigorous proofs to accurately describe this behavior.

3. Why is the precise definition of a limit important in mathematics?

The precise definition of a limit is important in mathematics because it allows for a rigorous and accurate understanding of the behavior of functions. It is the foundation of calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is the precise definition of a limit used in calculus?

The precise definition of a limit is used in calculus to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. It is used to evaluate derivatives, find maximum and minimum values, and determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the precise definition of a limit?

Some common misconceptions about the precise definition of a limit include thinking that it only applies to functions with continuous graphs, or that it is only used in calculus. In reality, the precise definition of a limit can be applied to any type of function, and it is a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics beyond calculus.