How do I normalize the wave equation?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expectation values of x and x^2 for the function \Psi(x) = \frac{C}{a^2 + x^2}. The student attempted to solve for the constant C by setting the integral of the function squared equal to 1. They then used a substitution to solve for C and found that it was equal to \frac{2}{\pi a^3}. They then asked for help in finding the expectation values of x and x^2, to which it was determined that they are both equal to 0 due to the symmetry of the function. The student was then encouraged to provide a full solution.
C. Darwin

Homework Statement

[tex]\Psi(x) = \frac{C}{a^2 + x^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know to do this I need to solve for:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left|\Psi(x)\right|^2 = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do it for this function. I've tried various methods to solve
[tex]C^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(a^2 + x^2)^2} = 1[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
By substiting
[tex]x =a * tan(\theta)[/tex]
I was able to solve for
[tex]\frac{C^2}{a^3} = \frac{2}{\pi}[/tex]

I now need to find the expectation values of [tex] x [/tex] and [tex] x^2 [/tex] I'm not sure how to get started (are they just zero? if I plot this function I get a curve peaked at x=0...)

[tex] E[X]=\int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x \left|\Psi(x)\right|^2 {\rm d}x [/tex]

[tex]f(x)=\Psi^2(x)[/tex] is even and [tex]g(x)=x[/tex] is odd [tex]\Rightarrow E[X]=\int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} g(x)f(x) {\rm d}x= 0[/tex]

[tex] E[X^2]=\int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x^2 \left|\Psi(x)\right|^2 {\rm d}x =?[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, I got it. Am I supposed to post a full solution?

I don't know but it would be nice.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in various physical systems. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What does it mean to normalize the wave equation?

Normalizing the wave equation involves scaling the equation in order to make its solutions easier to work with. This typically involves dividing the equation by a constant value.

3. Why is normalizing the wave equation important?

Normalizing the wave equation allows us to simplify and better understand its solutions. It also allows us to compare different solutions to the same equation.

4. How is the wave equation normalized?

The wave equation can be normalized by dividing it by a constant value, typically the square root of the sum of squares of its coefficients. This results in a unitless equation.

5. Are there any limitations to normalizing the wave equation?

Normalizing the wave equation can only be done for certain types of equations, such as those with constant coefficients. It may also change the form of the equation, which can affect its solutions.