General requirements for foreign students

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to apply for a Master's degree in Physics in Canada and their inquiries about the general requirements for foreign students, available scholarships, and the possibility of a more lenient admission process due to Canada's supposed "student's year." It is mentioned that most schools in Ontario require an honours degree, GRE tests, and letters of recommendation, and the amount of scholarship received depends on grades, experience, and financial needs. The validity of the supposed "student's year" is questioned, as well as the potential for more leniency in admissions and scholarships.
nrj
I m Niraj Aryal from Nepal n I recently completed my Bachelor's degree in Physics.Now I m thinking of applying Canada for Masters degree in Physics(Applied). Can somebody help me telling what are the general requirements for foreign students to be enrolled in university in Canada and which college would be better? Are there scholarship facilities and how affordable they are?

Physics news on Phys.org

Most schools require an honours degree, GRE tests, and letters of recommendation. Here are some links for some schools in Ontario to get a better picture:
http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/graduate"
http://www.physics.uwaterloo.ca/"
http://www.physics.uwo.ca/graduate/index.html" (London, Ontario)
http://www.physics.uottawa.ca/pos/programs_graduate.html"

The amount of money you get from the school and/or government depends on your grades, experience, and financial needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi frens,
Can someone help me telling the general criterion for applying students visa in Canada.Is it true that Canada is celebrating student's year for 2010?If that would be the case,will the colleges be somewhat liberal in granting admission and scholarship??

I've not heard of such a thing, but even if it were the case, the colleges can't be much more liberal with admissions and scholarships, as they already admit their capacity of students and spend all of the money allocated for scholarships.

1. What are the basic requirements for foreign students to study in a foreign country?

Foreign students typically need to have a valid passport, a student visa, and proof of financial resources to cover their tuition and living expenses. They may also need to meet certain language proficiency requirements and provide transcripts or test scores from previous education.

2. Are there any specific academic requirements for foreign students?

Academic requirements for foreign students vary depending on the country and institution they are applying to. Some may require a certain GPA or standardized test scores, while others may have specific course prerequisites. It's important to research the academic requirements of each school to which you are applying.

3. Can foreign students work while studying in a foreign country?

In most cases, foreign students are allowed to work part-time while studying in a foreign country. However, there may be restrictions on the number of hours they can work and the types of jobs they can have. It's important to check the specific regulations of the country where you plan to study.

4. Do foreign students need health insurance?

Many countries require foreign students to have health insurance in order to study there. This is to ensure that students have access to medical care and do not become a financial burden on the country's healthcare system. Some schools may offer health insurance plans for international students, but it's important to check the requirements and make sure you have adequate coverage.

5. Are there any cultural or social requirements for foreign students?

While there may not be specific requirements, it's important for foreign students to be aware of and respectful of the cultural and social norms of the country they are studying in. This includes understanding etiquette, customs, and laws. It's also a good idea to participate in cultural exchange programs or clubs to help integrate into the local community.